Call That a Cable Car?


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
January 2nd 2007
Published: January 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wellington Cable CarWellington Cable CarWellington Cable Car

More of a funicular railway wouldn't you say?
Miracle of miracles, when we woke up this morning it was neither raining nor desperately windy. Time at last to venture further afield and actually enjoy a day out in Wellington - hooray!

We decided to attempt the cable car again which had broken down the first time we went to ride it. Today it was working just fine and a quick flash of our fake student ID cards got us a return ticket for just NZ$2 instead of NZ$4.5 - excellent! The ride up was pleasant and being first in the queue, we got to stand at the front as we rode up. We played around with Jish for a while much to the amusement of the other passengers and enjoyed our little trip up to the top. I still don't think you can exactly class it as a cable car (see my previous rant and rave for more info on the matter!) and as it took only about 5 minutes, it was a gentle rather than thrilling ride. Beats walking up though!

At the top we took a look around the free Cable Car Museum which was nicely presented and very professional looking but ultimately very dull
All AboardAll AboardAll Aboard

Glynn tries to get excited about the cable car ride...
indeed. Next to the museum was the entrance to the Botanical Gardens so we made the most of the opportunity to be outdoors and went for a walk. The gardens were pleasant with an area showcasing plants and trees from Australia and a nice cactus garden. Other than that however, it wasn't as impressive as some places we've been to so far on our travels. It's kind of ironic that the one thing that New Zealand does well is naturally beautiful landscapes but when they attempt to recreate it on a small scale, it just doesn't have anywhere near the same impact.

The best part of being at the top was without doubt the commanding views over the city sprawl below. There was an old gun turret sat pointing menacingly across the city which was amusing. The Carter Observatory is also situated in the same area but having seen a couple of planetarium shows in Japan and Malaysia already we gave it a miss this time. My toes were still rather painful so we didn't stay in the gardens for too long.

On our back back to the hostel we stopped off at the supermarket and picked up
Hang On!Hang On!Hang On!

What's Jish doing up there?
a couple of packs of very delicious muffins that had been reduced (we had them for dinner AND desert!). On our way round the shop we bumped into none other than our friend Roger, the kiwi guy we had met in Thailand and recently also met up with in his home town of Rotorua. We knew he was in the Wellington or Palmerston North areas but couldn't believe that we actually managed to see each other again completely by accident! We had a good long chat and by the time we left, not even the rain that had started to fall could wash the smiles from our faces. At last, something good had happened to us in Wellington!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Botaincal GardensBotaincal Gardens
Botaincal Gardens

Perfect place for any duck sniper.
Kiwi Christmas TreeKiwi Christmas Tree
Kiwi Christmas Tree

These trees blossom with bright red flowers around Christmas and New Year. I forget what they're called - sorry!
Ready, Aim, FireReady, Aim, Fire
Ready, Aim, Fire

Glynn finds the perfect way to deal with all the troublemakers at the hostel.
Where's Jude Now?Where's Jude Now?
Where's Jude Now?

Does Jude grow on trees?
It's a Small WorldIt's a Small World
It's a Small World

Look who we bumpred into in the supermarket - it's Roger, our traveller friend from Thailand!


9th January 2007

Red Flower on Trees
That tree is a Pohutukawa Tree... NZ's own Christmas Tree. Legend has it that if the flower in November, we're going to have a long hot summer... the 'kawas flowered in November and as I write this, it's 19oC....

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb