The International Network of Friends Strikes Again


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
January 3rd 2007
Published: January 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

International FriendsInternational FriendsInternational Friends

Together again: Steffen, Susi, Jude & Glynn.
After unexpectedly bumping into an old friend in the supermarket yesterday, Glynn and I felt like things might have started looking up for us again. Today we had something equally as wonderful to look forward to with the arrival in Wellington of more friends we had met on our travels in Asia.

We met a lovely German couple called Steffen and Susi in Melaka a couple of months ago and when we got onto the subject of onward travel, they told us they would be in New Zealand at around the same time as us. We agreed back then to keep in touch and try and meet up again as and when our paths crossed. Well, today was the day they were due to come to Wellington after touring South Island so at 11am, we ambled over to the entrance of the museum to meet them.

Seeing them come running over to us as we arrived at our meeting place was brilliant and made us feel like we weren't the miserable old codgers we've been feeling like lately. It was a joy to see them again too - like meeting an old friend even though we really only spent
Face OffFace OffFace Off

Jude ponders some of the unusual street art in Wellington.
one evening with them back in Malaysia. We headed off in search of a coffee shop on Cuba Street and settled down for a catch-up session and some much needed good times. We chatted for ages and exchanged photos and stories of our travels and it was just a wonderful afternoon. Even the sun was shining for the first time since we arrived. Unfortunately they were only passing through Wellington as they had to return their campervan to Auckland just 4 days later, so they hit the road again after just a few hours. Still, it really was a great to see them again.

As if that wasn't brilliant enough, minutes after Steffen and Susi left our Japanese friend Lina arrived! She is also going to South Island on the same day as us and decided to stay in Wellington for a couple of days to see us again. She booked into our hostel and then we went out to the harbour front to enjoy the continuing good weather. There are lots of wonderful sculptures and pieces of art scattered around the waterfront area including a Maori inspired wooden bridge depicting whale tails and seabirds. In Civic Square there
Sailboats and SunsetsSailboats and SunsetsSailboats and Sunsets

It seems Wellington's not so dreary when the sun comes out!
is a huge silver ball made of cutout ferns that is suspended almost magically in the air, which was probably my favourite piece. We had great fun trying to outdo each other with unusual photos and bizarre poses.

Further along the harbour we came across a playground that had a huge helterskelter style building in it with slides that were big enough for us to have a go on. Needless to say Glynn was the first one down! As the sun set across the water, we slowly made our way abck to the hostel where we spent an entertaining evening playing Monopoly. Not only did we have a lot of fun but it was the first time in 4 nights that the common room was quiet above us. As a result, we got the first good night's sleep we'd had in ages too. Who could ask for more than that!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Wellington CBDWellington CBD
Wellington CBD

View of Wellington's Central Business District as seen from the waterfront.


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb