Wellington (29-30 Nov 2010)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington Region » Wellington
February 3rd 2011
Published: February 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Monday 29th November 2010 (Wellington)

Today we were shopping, not for your usual NZ items such as Jade or an All Blacks jersey, but for Smurf costumes to celebrate Rita’s Birthday. 9 of us scoured the various cheap shops and charity shops where we bought lots of blue face paint and white outfits with pillowcases for hats. We managed to sort our costumes out before the others, so we hit Te Puia museum an hour before closing, where we saw the giant squid and whale skeleton.

Time to paint the town blue... A dozen of us got ready in the Irish girls’ room, which after an hour or so had a blue tint we all hoped management wouldn’t notice.

Smurfs hit the hostel bar with many amused looks from the people around and after several drinks went on a pub crawl of Wellington, only to find that it’s dead on a Monday. It didn’t matter though as we took our own atmosphere with us! People were stopping us in the street asking for photos and Rita seemed to love every (incoherent) moment – despite being drunk as a skunk long before the party ended. Our pub crawl took us to an Irish bar (as it should for any Irish girl’s birthday abroad) where Rita impressed us all with a little Irish jig to the live music. We finished up back at the hostel bar and partied till late.

Tuesday 30th November 2010 (Wellington)

This morning there were a lot of blue pillow cases, and the showers, well let’s just say i wouldn’t fancy being a cleaner!

We met with Brenda, an old work friend for a really great catch up and a couple of drinks by Te Puia museum. She dropped us at the botanical gardens where we went exploring, finding the rose garden, a whole host of sculptures and a cool sundial.

We took the cable car back down to the centre, where we returned to check out the rest of Te Puia museum.

A few drinks in the evening and goodbye to the Welsh girls who were staying to find work.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



4th February 2011

Didnt make it to Wellington
pub crawl sounds like fun, although guess difficult to remember now, or day after. Good you were able to meet up with Brenda.

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 15; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb