Caving and lack of Skiing


Advertisement
Published: October 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Rotorua to caves to skiing


Tavis and I stayed till Monday at Rotorua just relaxing. On Monday we drove to Otorohanga stopping at Tirau where they love corrugated iron and have the tourist info and wool shop made as a giant dog and sheep. We also stopped at a Kiwi house where day and night are reversed so you can see the nocturnal kiwis during the day. They also have lots of other cool birds, lizards and trees.

Tuesday:
I did the Waitomo Lost World 7 hour Epic (www.waitomo.co.nz) 100 metre Abseil followed by 2km of caving- wading, swimming, climbing and spider climbing through spectacular caves. We saw fossilized oysters and glowworms. We got to jump through holes in the rocks into rivers below in pitch black and walk through waterfalls as well as clambering up, over and under rocks. It was really hard work but the best thing I have done so far on my travels - definitely worth the cost. The abseil was so long that you couldn't see the bottom when you were at the top!

Tue evening Tavis drove us to his family friends in Turangi where we stayed the night and went out in there boat the next morning on Lake Taupo and saw the steam rising from the mountains. Tavis and I walked around a park with bubbling mud and steaming water and then I taught him how to do a front drop on their trampoline. I had to say a sad farewell to him that evening as I headed down to Ohakune to meet up with Tomos to go skiing. Unfortunately it has been too windy to go up so far. Fingers crossed for tomorrow (sat).



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

KingfishersKingfishers
Kingfishers

at the Kiwi house- sorry no pictures of Kiwi's it was too dark.
Under waterfallsUnder waterfalls
Under waterfalls

in Waitomo caves


6th October 2006

Did we do the same as you?
The answer is no except go to Hot Water Beach and walk to Cathedral Rock - otherwise we seemed to visit different attractions. Love the baby kiwi. love Mum
11th October 2006

Hello
Hey Tamsin, gosh I haven't been in touch for ages but I regularly keep an eye on how things are going! Feel really left behind now that Beccy has gone. I'm so glad that you are having a good time and I really enjoy reading what you are up to. The pictures are great!

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 74; dbt: 0.1192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb