Waterfall Hiking


Advertisement
Published: February 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

I may have a slight addiction to waterfalls. I like to think that we make decisions together on which hikes to take in the various parks and places we visit, but Aaron knows and I know too, that if there is a hike to a waterfall listed in a guide, all other hikes are essentially off the table. Case in point, yesterday I spent three dollars on a Tongariro National Park hiking booklet. There are 42 glorious pages of hikes detailed in this booklet. Two of them end up at waterfalls. We did both of those hikes. I'm sure the other hikes are beautiful, especially in an area like this, but I barely glanced at them. Aaron, being the good sport that he is, looked at the book after I did, and "chose" the waterfall hikes. He is well trained. ;-) Today's three mile hike took us to Waitanga Falls. I jokingly told Aaron that I am going to write my own hiking guide book entitled, "The Out of Shape Midwesterner's Guidebook to Hikes in the Woods of New Zealand". If I were to actually do that, I would describe today's hike as follows: "Prepare to be exhausted and out of breath as you hike straight up the high altitude mountain for 45 minutes utilizing a series of unnaturally high steps and well maintained pathways. A pleasant and flat stroll at the top of the mountain will last for 15 minutes and the views will make you realize it was worth the agony getting here. Then, descend straight down into a river gorge, again utilizing unnaturally high steps, for 30 minutes. You will realize15 minutes into the descent that what goes down must come back up. Panic. Notice that you do hear a distant waterfall. Quicken your pace down the hill and arrive at one of the prettiest places you have ever been. Again realize that the pain is worth it. Remember that few things worth doing in life come easily." While Waitanga Falls is the waterfall we hiked to see, the other unnamed falls cascading down the walls of the gorge, and the tumbling water of the Mangawhero River, were breathtaking to see. We hopped around on the large boulders strewn through the river, stopped for a snack on a rock, and enjoyed the wonderful sounds of nature unspoiled by man. There's something so wonderful about being alone in nature. Another perfect day, and a great end to our time on the North Island. Tomorrow we drive to Wellington and travel across the Cook Straight via ferry. Until next time...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1012s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb