A short trip to Rotoiti/Rotorua


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
August 15th 2014
Published: August 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

A busy day for hubby resulted in a later than planned exit from Auckland. The purpose of this trip was to deliver all the scout tents to Rotorua for repair, the benefit to us was a holiday 😊 we had no idea where we were going or what the bach would be like. One of my favourite types of holiday.



So despite a late start and not finishing loading the trailer until after 6pm we started on our trip. Our initial problem was a major traffic jam at our offramp, 5 cars had been silly and caused us almost an hours delay! The kids coped ok, a few squarks from the twins and grumbles from the big boys but soon enough we were underway. To my surprise even the big boys fell asleep even before we hit State highway 27. Normally we share the driving however due to me having LASIK the week before and us driving at night the halo effect of my eyesight warned this was not a great idea. Hubby was in charge. The trip down was good after the initial traffic jam until we were almost at Matamata. As we were approaching the car in front of us decided to overtake the car in front of it, seriously a scary decision and hubby hit the brakes slowing down in case of a crash. The car he almost took out in the opposite direction flashed it's lights like crazy yet he persisted in overtaking. He swung back in to the lane just in time but if the other car had not slowed down it would have been nasty, we were amazed at the reflexes of the opposing driver until he passed us, switched on his lights and did a U turn to pursue the offender. I would have loved to have seen his face seeing he had pulled that manoeuvre in front of a cop! Unfortunately due to all the drama all kids woke. We stopped for dinner for hubby and a break for the rest. Back onto the road and we knew it was going to be a late arrival.

The rest of the trip was great and we pulled into the home managing to make beds and set up portacots without everyone waking. It may have been 11pm and dark when we arrived but it was lovely to be there and to settle in. As I always say, it's lovely to arrive in the dark and go to sleep. The mystery is not knowing what we will wake up to and I always enjoy that.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb