DAY 11 WAITANGI to OREWA


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Orewa
February 11th 2023
Published: February 14th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Pulled stumps at 8.30am and headed to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds (Te Pitowhenua/Our Nations Birthplace). We paid our entry fee and spent well over 2 hours educating ourselves in the Museum of Waitangi (Te Kongahu). The historical information of events to the current day are presented in multi-media form, photographs, interactive opportunities and physical objects. One cannot but learn. We enjoyed it immensely.

The weather was becoming worse by the hour … as I’m writing this … it’s by the minute. We revised our plans … again … and heeded the advice from locals and the weather bureau and headed south … damn! Driving proved to be a focused effort as the wind tried its hardest to blow us of course a number of times. The highway was ‘chokkas’ as many had made the same decision as us … head south, south and further south still.

Before totally succumbing to the elements we deviated to the Whangarei Falls. Compared to the Iguazu Falls in South America, it is weeny, but beautiful. We followed the forest covered tracks and steps to the river flowing from the falls. Moist, cool, wind protected … just beautiful … exactly how I like my

Museum of Waitangi (Te Kongahu)
hikes. Reminded us of our walks in Tasmania and British Columbia.

The cyclone is forecast to hit at approximately 1am with huge waves, gale force winds and heavy rain (300mm in a few hours!). Guess where we are … about 200m from a beach; a beach already churning white caps. It is Orewa Beach. This afternoon we stood at water’s edge marvelling, applauding and photographing the skills of the tens of kite surfers who were revelling in the conditions. Tonight, we are at a caravan park in Orewa, not many here, as we were advised not to free camp.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement





Te Koukou


Te Uri o Kanae ... Rangihoua chief


Hongi Hika ... leader in Bay of Islands in 1820




NZ First Flag



Late QE II Statement.


The home of James Busby who was the British Resident from 1833 to 1840. He was involved in drafting the 1835 Declaration of Independence of New Zealand and the 1840 Treaty of Waitangi.


Rear view.


Ceremonial War Canoes ... Ngatokimatawhaorua, a ceremonial waka. The world's largest of its type.


This waka makes a voyage once a year on Waitangi Day (February 6th) To be a crew member is a prized experience.



3 Kauri Trees, this being one of them, were used to make the war canoes.


Whangarei Falls




Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb