DAY 12 OREWA to LAKE ROTOMANU (New Plymouth)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » New Plymouth
February 12th 2023
Published: February 14th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Goodbye from wild Orewa beach.
We were woken by the van rockin’ ‘n rollin’ as the wind gathered ferocity and buffeted the van. Outside, the sea was virtually white and had rolled in a further 100m. Jane checked the weather situation on the net while I went to the camp office to ask the situation and to have affirmation on our directions to our next destination, New Plymouth area on the Taranaki Peninsula. Yes, Auckland was code ‘Red’ and that the bridge into Auckland would be closed come 12 noon or there abouts due to the strong wind. That sealed it. We had to be across it and well on our way south. Jane called out the instructions as she navigated and I concentrated on choosing the correct lane and not running into anyone. The police and traffic controllers had reduced the crossing of the bridge to one lane and 30kph.

Through Auckland and it was south on State Highway 1 until we switched to highway 39 outside of Hamilton to take us to our first ‘reward’ stop, Whatamata, a very, very small place with the most magnificent selection of all sort of cakes and great coffee and friendly service.

Onto Otorohanga, where we

Whatamata Village Cafe
replenished supplies for the days ahead. South of Awakino we pulled in to stretch our legs and watch a few surfers and struck up a conversation with a bloke filming the surfers. He gave us directions to the free camp site we are at tonight, Lake Rotomaru, just north of New Plymouth. The beach sand at Awakino is as black as black. Four very small sharks had been caught and were on the sand being ravaged by birds.

The weather definitely had us change our plans. We have been driving far too much and it is not surprising that we are both pretty tired. The countryside roads are so up and down and windy that speed variation is constant. One could not afford to lose concentration as drop offs at times are in the hundred-of-metres. The opposite side is hard rock cliff-face. There has been numerous rockfalls and landslides, with some still to be completely removed. We came to a standstill on four occasions for at least 10-15minutes each time due to road repairs, modifications and removal of debris. Queues quickly built. The cattle were aplenty and grazed on the lush green hillsides.

As I am about to
finish this piece, the rain has started here too! We will go with the flow. Neither of us will argue against a stay-in-one-place and read a book tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement








Surfing at Awakino Beach







Lake Rotomaru


Ending the day in wine style.


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0935s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb