The Mighty Cape


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Cape Reinga
May 28th 2008
Published: June 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

We officially made it to the most Northern part of New Zealand when we reached the lighthouse at Cape Reinga. This is the point where the Tasman Sea meets the Pacific Ocean and the waves form a cross pattern upon the beach. Here would be a storm-watcher's delight as waves can reach over 8 meters in height.

Heading South was bittersweet as it meant we were on the last legs of our journey. We traveled down the West side of the Northland from Cape Reinga to Kaitaia, down to Rangiora where we caught a ferry to Rowene, and further to Omapere where we spent the night.

Over the water were huge sand dunes where you can rent a surf board or toboggan to sand surf down the large hills into the water. We opted out of this adventure due to rain; we didn't think wet sand would be as forgiving. Here we got a mere $20 of petrol (under 9 liters) to get us to the next center where prices would be less than $2.099 a liter, our new record high!

As our drive continued we entered dense forest and stopped to visit the oldest living Kauri tree (2000 years) and overlook the Waipoua Forest. The landscapes caused Kirby to have an accident and he had to change his pants (see below). Later we shared a rest stop for the night with a neat Czech couple, also wrapping up their time here. We enjoyed more rainbows before a gorgeous sunset.

The next morning wrapped up our Northern adventure at Muriwai Bay where we watched Gannets soaring and Christina built a sad looking black sandcastle. Then it was back to civilization for a few errands, a round of mini golf (of course!), and even a round of bowling. Christina couldn't get her game on making claims that the Southern Hemisphere didn't work with her spin technique, however, Kirby had them game of his life.

We arrived into Auckland at John and Evelyn's in the evening and caught up on some stories. Nine days until departure!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Tasman Meet Pacific Tasman Meet Pacific
Tasman Meet Pacific

At this point, the two mighty bodies of water have a meet and greet. During storms it is said that there can be 10 meter swells due to the two sea mixing it up.
I Believe I Can FlyI Believe I Can Fly
I Believe I Can Fly

The weather was a tad windy so Christina started to take after the birds and soar. Kirby wishes he would not have put down the camera, as he watched Christina fly out to sea and catch a fish. It was an amazing sight. Christina has always been the graceful one.
Pot of Gold at the End of The RainbowPot of Gold at the End of The Rainbow
Pot of Gold at the End of The Rainbow

As the old tale suggests, both Kirby and Christina did not want to go up the horse's . . . mine . . . What is that other saying? 'One man's ( ) is an another man's treasure'.
New Price RecordNew Price Record
New Price Record

If you are complaining about gas prices, take a look at our new high - $2.099 a liter!!!
Giant Kauri TreeGiant Kauri Tree
Giant Kauri Tree

This is "Tane Mahuta", the oldest living Kauri tree at 2000 years old. Many of the dead Kauri trees now used for furniture and clocks are 4000 years old.
Tree HuggerTree Hugger
Tree Hugger

Kirby "hugs" Tane Mahuta, which is amazing because it is over 10 meters wide... we always knew Kirby had long gangly arms.
River by the Kauri TreesRiver by the Kauri Trees
River by the Kauri Trees

This is a rain forest area.
Whoops!Whoops!
Whoops!

Kirby mistakes the wet slope for a slip'n'slide.
Look Out!Look Out!
Look Out!

Overlooking Waipoua Forest.
Waipoua ForestWaipoua Forest
Waipoua Forest

Another view
GannetGannet
Gannet

A Gannet soars by us before diving into the sea at Muriwai Gannet Colony. Gannets can dive at speeds of up to 140 km/h!


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb