Down By The Bay, Where the Kayakers Go


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
May 27th 2008
Published: June 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tui Gets an Inside TidyTui Gets an Inside TidyTui Gets an Inside Tidy

What else to do on a beautiful morning than do some fall cleaning. Christina and Kirby were getting a little 'interior' fever.
A morning of sunshine made cleaning Tui up a pleasant event. With this being Tui's last adventure, it was time to take inventory and see what we had swept under the carpet.

High in the North at Paihia, it was time to take to the waters. We took a beautiful kayak through the pristine waters of the Bay of Islands. It would take a bit of training for us to make any speed records so we enjoyed some time away from the land at a nice relaxing pace. We paddled out to nearby Tore Tore island to explore and hike.

Later we took a short ferry ride across to the town of Russell, a town holding much of New Zealand's early history. We splurged for a dinner at its oldest hotel, the Duke of Marlborough Hotel. We enjoyed some fresh fish and steak, as well as great service and amazing views as the sun set over the bay.





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Kayak Rental ShopKayak Rental Shop
Kayak Rental Shop

On the beach at Paihia.
Kayaking The Bay of IslandsKayaking The Bay of Islands
Kayaking The Bay of Islands

We were told the best way to experience the Bay of Islands was to be on the water. We took the advice and were not disappointed.
Prairie Team Armstrong in GearPrairie Team Armstrong in Gear
Prairie Team Armstrong in Gear

Kayak built for two.
Fixed Point NavigationFixed Point Navigation
Fixed Point Navigation

The Island that 'Prairie Team Armstrong' headed toward as they crossed the Bay.
Tore Tore Scenic ReserveTore Tore Scenic Reserve
Tore Tore Scenic Reserve

Once a navigational point, the Island transforms into a new world that was have never stepped on before. . . by us anyways.
Mussels on the RocksMussels on the Rocks
Mussels on the Rocks

Kirby thought they would be on ice with that title.
Is that the Ark?Is that the Ark?
Is that the Ark?

This boat was really neat, it had a house on top and a clear 'see-through' area under it. Thought it would be a great houseboat.
Russell HotelRussell Hotel
Russell Hotel

Kirby and Christina spent an evening of dinning at the Duke of Marborough, an old Hotel in Russell.


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb