A spot of rain


Advertisement
Published: May 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

On wednesday, we drove north up through Gisbourne to Tokomaro Bay on the spectacular east cost. The drive took us most of the day but as it was raining solidly this was fine.

The next morning the weather was a little better, although it had rained all night, and we walked to Cook's Cove (where Captain Cook first landed in NZ) through the boggiest marshes and marshiest bogs imaginable. Despite Tim managing to fall over twice (first in the mud, secondly in something the sheep had left as an amusing joke) and having to spend the rest of the day in shorts and sandals (all other clothes being quarantined in thick plastic bags in the boot) we managed to maintain high spirits - even when, later in the day, no-one turned up to let us in to one hostel, the next one was closed and we had to drive for a further two hours in the rain* to find the (admittedly idyllic) Maraehako Retreat in the dark. Once we had moved the horse blocking our way at the main gate (Emma's horse whispering somehow worked) we spent a pleasant evening with the Maori owner of the hostel (Pihi) and were very grateful for his washing machine!

Friday was a better day, with Emma Kingfisher spotting whilst we drove to Opotiki on the eastern end of the Bay of Plenty. That evening we drove the 90km round trip (in the rain and fog) to the nearest cinema to see the new Star Wars film (fantastic by the way and worth seeing multiple times on the big screen).

We spent the weekend in Whakatane, hoping to take a boat out to White Island (an active volcano 50km of the north coast) but weather thwarted our plans - instead we managed a couple of rainy walks, a visit to the museum that was closed due to flooding, a roast dinner, lots of reading and a surprise informal evening of Maori culture and sharing with our fellow guests and our Maori host, Hare.

Tomorrow we head south again (to Rotorua) as many of the roads any further westwards are closed due to flooding and landslide damage...you may have seen some of it on the international news.


* a good drive for wildlife - we spotted 2 stoats, 2 possums, a hedgehog, a hare and loads of frogs - and skillfully avoided squashing any of them (we hope).



Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb