Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
December 9th 2015
Published: December 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We made it!

After the stepmother of all journeys we finally made it to New Zealand. 11 hours from Amsterdam to Hong Kong, 6 hour stopover, another 11 hours from Hong Kong to Auckland. It was long and uncomfortable and tedious and loooong. But so worth it!

We arrived in Auckland on Monday morning, and had 3 days to acclimatise here. The first day was mostly spent walking around like zombies and trying not to fall asleep on park benches. Needless to say we went to bed early and slept like logs.

The second day we walked to Auckland museum via Parnell(lovely, quaint little area with artistic people and artistic shops).

Auckland museum was pretty impressive, from the Maori exhibit to the Maori cultural performance(I saw a haka being performed live!!!, didn't think I would get to see one as it's summer break in rugby land, I was truly gutted when I found out), to the volcano gallery, with an interactive living room overlooking a bay, where a volcano erupts in the water. Pretty shocking experience, and I truly hope nobody will ever have to live through that!

In the evening we had a table booked in the Sky Tower/ Orbit 360 restaurant. Obviously the view was absolutely stunning, and we were there at exactly the right time, so we got to see Auckland by day and by night! The food was also amazing, it was just an allround perfect evening and I would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Auckland.

This morning we went down to the harbour to find the fish market and stare at fish. Viaduct Bassin is a hip and happening area, full of bars and restaurants and artsy fartsy industrial 'features' dotted around. There were lots of school kids running around when we were there(I think they were on a school trip), which made it even more vibrant.

After the fish got bored with us we walked up Queen Street to do some shopping(it's so odd to see Christmas decorations everywhere while you're walking around in flipflops!) and have lunch at Elliot Stables. I really like the system they've got going there, it's a narrow covered alleyway with about 10 different little restaurants in it. They don't have their own tables, you can sit anywhere and order anywhere, which is nice if you can't agree on what to eat.

We're in early tonight, because tomorrow is CAMPER DAY!!! Can't wait to see our home for the next 4 weeks, and finally properly unpack our suitcases! Bit anxious about driving a big motorhome on the WRONG side of the road, but I've been assured that you get used to it fairly quickly, so trying not to worry too much.

Goodnight!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



9th December 2015

Looks good
Hi , have fun the next weeks, it will be over before you know it:)
9th December 2015

Vet
Anouk ,vet om de foto.s te zien vooral die van je slippers bij de tower glas komen daarkomen herineringen van boven .
9th December 2015

Hello
Leuk om te lezen dat jullie in het Bassin waren. Niet dezelfde stad, edoch.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb