A day on the town and a trip round the bay


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
November 21st 2007
Published: December 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A beautiful, warm, sunny Spring day. Went to catch a bus into Auckland city centre to do the tourist route (or as much of it as I can stand). Looking at the timetable last night, you could see that the single bus line goes every half hour until 11a.m., then hourly and stops at 7p.m. At weekends, it's 2 hourly only. I think I'll go and ask if I can hire the car from Friday rather than next Monday, so that I can go to interesting places over the weekend.

Having arranged thatm I walked through Auckland to the Sky Tower. The centre is small but quite pleasant - US style 4-way pedestrian crossing every block. The student card worked in the Sky Tower (woo-hoo!) and I got in the lift to the top of this telecommunications mast).

Stunning views over the city, the suburbs and the harbours from the top. Lots of volcanic cones peppering the landscape. A few strange people were jumping off the top - it tseems to be a tehered fall rather than a full bungee jump - didn't feel any urge to join them. Went to the highest level and then had a coffee before descending. Walked down to the ferry terminal and arranged a trip around the bay for this afternoon.

I spent a little while bookshopping - eventually found some small NZ wildlife books - and having lunch.

The afternoon boat tour started in the harbour - heavy on NZ history and sailing achievement - then we went out into the wider Waitemutu harbour. The boat sailed over to the northern shore and under the Auckland Harbour Bridge (no bungee loonies today) then east to Devonport past the entire NZ Navy (5 ships) and a few scoria cones. Out into the deeper gulf and back to the ferry terminal.

It was a really good warm day for a boat trip. So I used the free offer of a return ferry trip to Devonport and went across for the guidebook's recommended volcano tour.

The schools had finished by the time I got there, so they jetty in the distance had a few teenagers jumping into the harbour. Walked along the shore to the North Head volcanic cone. Devonport looked like a nice Edwardian suburb and I would think a rather pricey area to live. The North Head was grass-covered (cut short) with thick, brown fertile volcanic soil. The cliffs showed vesicular lava with welded tuff - a typical scoria cone. Has apparently been dated to 150kA. Great views over Auckland and the islands from the top.

Lots of remains of gun emplacements on the cone - an obvious defensive spot. They were created to prevent a Russian! invasion in the 19th century and were used through both World Wars.

Went down to Cheltenham Beach alongside the gulf - a narrow strip of sand with mown grass behind. Forgot the swimming things - didn't think I'd come across a beach :-( . A few kids playing after school on it. Walked back to the ferry through the park - dodging lots of small children at after-school cricket practice. About the same standard as the British equivalents - presumably neither of us will win the World Cup in 15 years time. Had a quick beer in Devonport before returning on the ferry. There were sails in every corner of the harbour - including a eveneing cruiser race.

Watch the day fade through the wonderful Gondwanan palms and pines - so unlike those in the North.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb