Rangitoto


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Rangitoto
November 22nd 2007
Published: December 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Cloudy with occasional sunny intervals - warmish.

Geological notes on Rangitoto Island in Fieldbook (July 2007 onwards) page 59.

Waited for an earlier bus - it was late, so only just made the ferry at 9.15 (had to rush for water and food - there are no supplies on Rangitoto Island). There are only 1 morning and 1 midday ferry.

The ferry was full of primary school kids on a summer term day trip. Short journey across the gulf - 25 minutes or so. I climbed up to the summit from the wharf - full of the kids, it could be a Cub hike (except that I don't have to be incharge). Scrubby trees in a'a lava to the sides. The path was gently climbing until it got close to the cone, and then climbed steeply to the crater rim - a typical shield volcano. Glorious views, especially from the highest part of the crater rime. The crater was heavily vegetated (the final eruption was in the 14th Century). It was no a quiet stop with 100+ kids also stopping (it's as hard a climb for Aucklanders living on the flat as it would be for our lot).

I went around the smallish (400m diameter) summit crater, then went the long way down to the north (quiet - all the kids wen tstraight back down) then along the western coast. A long dullish walk (apart from occasional views) through scrubby forest. The signs said 3 hours - just long enough to catch the last ferry back - but it took 2 hours, so before waiting with (another) set of kids for the last ferry I looked around the historic baches (holiday cottages) that were still standing around the wharf.

WHen I got back to Auckland, I decided to walk around the docks to Parnell Pool for a cool-off. Nice salt-water pool but cold (20 degrees). Nice cool swim - the clouds parted to give a final sunny end to the day. The pool had a hot tub heated to almost Icelandic temperatures - very pleasant. Walked back up through the park to the hotel.

NZ TV has (unsuprisingly) a nightly sports programme, which ahs a fairly tongue-in-cheek look at sport. The commentators were trying unsuccessfully to conceal their glee at the news that England has been pushed out of Euro 2008. A good day to be away from home - glad I didn't bring the England shirt!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb