Auckland - The City of Sails


Advertisement
Published: May 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello folks! Well it's my turn to write (Lynds that is), Bri has let me loose on the key board so be prepared! Ok so we arrived in Auckland New Zealand on Tuesday morning, 4:30am. We left America Sunday night and missed the whole of Monday out so I hope you all enjoyed it! We found our hostel after a bit of a hairy bus ride from the airport and a slightly mad bus driver but we got there. As it is heading into winter here the sun did not show up till about 7:30, I was thinking at one point it was all a dream and it was January in the UK!!! But once it did appear we took a stroll down the main drag to find our bearings and take a look at Auckland.

The first sight we took in was the tallest building in the southern hemisphere the Sky Tower. What we did not know was when we entered the lift and the doors closed it had a glass bottom and glass doors! We shot up 52 floors at a fast pace and came out the other end a little green. It was all worth it though the views where amazing and we managed a walk on the glass floors. We then went up another 9 floors to see even better views, what we didn't do however was join in the jump off the top of the tower we just watched the other nutters do that one (you will all be glad to know!).

Day 2 we took a free bus tour round the city starting at the Auckland harbour bridge. 20 Minutes later and with saftey harness's attached we found ourselves walking underneath the bridge pretty high above the water. It was terrifying but also a real buzz. We made it to the middle of the bridge where we walked up to what the kiwi's call the 'bubble', and here watched another nutter bungy jump off the side (yes this place is full of them!) Another 20 minutes later we where back on solid ground where Brian kissed the tarmac like he was the pope. We then headed off across the bridge to Davenport where Bri ate the local fish and chips and we watched the world go by.

As we are now poor backpackers we have had to learn eating out every night is not an option, so in true style we have ambraced the kitched and supermarket and are cooking for ourselves. The first meal was a spectacular mussel and prawn stir fry that Brian cooked up and a bit of Lindemans bin 40 to swill it down! (ok so we are a little flash for back packers) We then hit the Globe bar at the bottom of the hostel where I left Bri with some lads to drink the night away.

For our final day in Auckland we headed out of the city to the ferries to see where we could go, the choice's where either Birkenhead (no joke) or the island of Waiheke.....we chose Waiheke! This was just the most beutiful place ever just 35 mins on a ferry and your where in paradise. We decided to keep it cheap and walk around and 2 hours later we arrived at the winery we where looking for and it was closed! Needless to say after that we took a bus back and found another winery called Cable Bay...wow. We tried 7 different wines and no we didn't spit it out it was far too good, then we sat and took in the views with a glass of red...life is tough eh?


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



13th May 2007

F/F's (Thongs!)
The view looking down it was difficult to see who feet were whos, can you please clarify?! How brown are you both already?! That's just not cricket. Keep the new and piccies coming guys. Takecare, x
14th May 2007

Hi lynds - the views look amazing rather you than me though in the sky tower. sounds like your having the best time ever lokk after each other and cant wait to read my next installment love sadia

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb