Bay of Islands baby!!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
May 13th 2007
Published: May 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So we set off on Friday at 8.30am from Auckland on our first "Magic Bus" tour to the bay of islands at the top of the North Island. The trip was to to take most of the day as the driver stopped at some points of interest along the way. We took the scenic route there and it really was amazing, it reminded me of Ireland but even more beautiful with the ocean just minutes away popping into view every known and again. We stopped at viewing highlights where huge sand dunes met the green rolling hills and the ocean it was magical.

So we eventually arrive in Paihia at around 4:30pm and check in to our first class hostel, we got a whole room to oursleves with 7 beds in it. Also, and girls you will all appriecate this one....a HAIRDRYER I was saved! As it was Friday night we got our glad rags on and hit the town or should we say the street , all of 3 bars (yes it was a one horse town!). The first bar we got to was buy one get one free on beer and wine...need I say more? We then had a pizza and a beer for a fiver then hit the Pipi bar where it all happens and mixed with some of the natives. (see pic, the doode on the left was called Celwin, cool name for a maouri hey?).

Saturday had a blurry start but after a stroll along the beach and a couple of asprin later, we took a boat trip out to see the Bay of Islands, 144 islands in total! The first stop was not long after we set off as we managed to catch up with 4 pods of dolphins, wow it was awesome we could of watched them for hours. After that we set course for the 'Hole in the Rock'.........yep that pretty much sums it up, a hole in a rock! The islands where a really beautiful sight and seeing the dolphins just made it more special and soon the hangover was forgotten.

The Bay of Islands is one of the smallest places in New Zealand but on this particular weekend there happened to be a Country Rock Festival taking place, everyone was walking around in stetsons it was so funny!

So before we left this morning we had time for a quick sunbathe as the weather was great but then headed back to Auckland where we are now. We are now getting ready to leave again tomorrow to start the journey south so watch this space.........


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



13th May 2007

hello you two
Well wow is all we can say, it certainly looks lovely and you are getting around to all those lovely places. The Dolphins look cool too. We hope you are both well, you certainly look great on the photo's. Hoping to speak to you soon, take care out there, have fun. Lots of love, Mum, Jean xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
14th May 2007

Still jealous
Hiya! Have just read both your blogs and it looks amazing although I have to say I had a major touch of vertigo when I saw the picture of the view beneath you on the sky tower, rather you than me!!!! Am likeing the idea of buy one get one free on wine, my kind of country!!!! Kepp the blogs coming am really enjoying seeing how you're getting on. Take Care Windy xxx
15th May 2007

Putting on the style
G'day! Nice wetsuit that you were sporting in the "Us Again" photo Bri. Take it easy and have a Speights for me!
18th May 2007

Lovin' ur blog!
Hey Lynds!! Just wanted to say i'm lovin' ur blog and the pics and i am sooooo uber jealous! Love ya xxx

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb