A Canadian in New Zealand - Days 1 and 2 - Auckland and Rangitoto Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Rangitoto
April 1st 2016
Published: April 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Finally arrived in Auckland, New Zealand after traveling from Fredericton, New Brunswick Canada. Needless to say, with a total trip time of 33 hours, including a 13 hour flight from San Francisco, I was quite travel-worn. Day 1 was slow, just walking around Auckland enjoying not having to wear a jacket. It was 20 C. The day before in Canada around 0 C. On day two the pace quickened a bit with a trip to Rangitoto Island. This is the largest volcano in the Auckland area and only a brief 25 minute ferry ride from Auckland. Numerous trails are available to hike; the most popular being the Summit Trail to the top. The hike takes about 60 to 90 minutes to the top. The trail is actually a road and you pass the unique lava fields characteristic of the area. The trail is rated mostly easy to moderate with a few relatively steep portions. On the way up a short side trail takes you to the Lava Caves. Narrow caves formed from flowing lava. It is an interesting experience making your way thru the caves. There are basically two caves each about 100 meters long. You need a flashlight (or torch to some!). Once at the summit (259M) there are several lookouts; one over the crater and the other being the summit lookout where you get good views of Auckland and nearby islands. There is also a 15 minute Crater Rim trail that circles the crater, although you do not see the crater on the trail? All in all a good day. Caught the ferry at 915AM and took the 215PM ferry back. Tomorrow, if my feet are up to it, I will try Mount Eden, the highest volcano in Auckland proper.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



1st April 2016

I trust you have started your beard! Happy trails. Looking forward to more pictures and reports. Bruce

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb