Quoddy Head State Park, Lubec, Maine, USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Lubec
September 5th 2015
Published: September 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After 3 days hiking at Campobello Island in New Brunswick, it was time to head home. Since I was only a bridge away from Lubec Maine, I decided to get one more visit in - Quoddy Head State Park. There is a colourful red and white stripped lighthouse - West Quoddy Head Light located here which is quite photogenic. It was automated in 1988 and became the focal point of the park. Interestingly, West Quoddy Head is the easternmost point in USA. There are also 5 plus miles of trails at the park including a 2 mile Coastal Trail which hugs the coast. The scenery is marvelous with wonderful views of the cliffs and coves of the area. There is even a beach access area where you can scramble along the rocky beach. It was low tide during my visit so access was quite good. I followed the Coastal Trail to its end, then returned via a quicker and more direct inland route - Thompson Trail. All in all I hiked about 4 miles with an elapsed time of around 3 and a half hours (lots of photographs and time at the beach). Parts of the trail were quite rough with some noticeable elevation changes throughout. Many just hike the first part of the Coastal Trail given it is the most scenic. They then retrace their steps so the hike can be as long or as short as you like. But if it is there, you might as well hike it! If you like hiking, as well as coastal scenery this is a great trail for you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Carrying Place CoveCarrying Place Cove
Carrying Place Cove

End of the Coastal Trail


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 27; qc: 107; dbt: 0.119s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb