A Canadian in New Zealand - Day 3 - Maungawhau (Mt Eden) Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Mount Eden
April 2nd 2016
Published: April 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 of my trip to New Zealand consisted of a walk(not hike) up Mt Eden, the cities highest volcano at a mere 196 meters. Tired from my trek to Rongitoto Island the day before, I took a bus to Mt Eden from downtown Auckland and saved about 90 minutes of walking. I purchased 1.5 litres of water in the town of Mt Eden as it was quite warm (23 C) and humid. Being in the middle of Auckland, the trail was either the roadway or paved walkway up. It took only about 15 minutes to reach the "tihi" (summit), although the going can be, and for me was, slow given the steepness of the hill. From the top you could see wonderful, 360 degree views of Auckland. From the summit, there is a short crater walk which takes you fully around the actual crater of the extinct volcano. The area is very green with the grasses and trees standing out. A must if you are visiting Auckland. It can be done comfortably in a morning or afternoon. Tomorrow, I pick up my rental, experience left of the road driving, and then off to Piha (about an hour from Auckland) to see the beaches.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

View of Auckland from the top of Mt EdenView of Auckland from the top of Mt Eden
View of Auckland from the top of Mt Eden

Notice the Skytower upper right
View of AucklandView of Auckland
View of Auckland

One tree hill in background
The craterThe crater
The crater

Notice trail around crater


2nd April 2016

Beautiful pics. A wonderful experience Wilson! Looking forward to following your journey through your blog. Take care and travel safe :)
10th April 2016
Trees at the summit

Great Picture!

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 107; dbt: 0.1002s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb