Day 62: Mushroom Rock Hilaan Beach


Advertisement
Guam's flag
Oceania » Guam
January 6th 2019
Published: January 11th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We explored the northwest side of the island today. This included stops at Two Lover’s Point and Mushroom Beach. Two Lover’s Point is the site of Chamorros’ myth: a young man and woman fell in love, but their families did not approve of the relationship. The two met at the cliff and tied their beautiful black hair together so they could be united forever. With one last look of lasting love and young beauty, they jumped from the cliff. Now you can forever see the woman in the cliff face and the man in the shoreline united forever. Next on the adventure was Mushroom Beach (actual name is Hilaan Beach, Mushroom is it’s white person name). Here the rock structures have small bases and large tops with greenery growing on top (giving the appearance of mushrooms). The large coral reef is about 100 yards offshore and has a large drop off. This makes the inshore area calm and warm ideal for more coral growth and its shallowness makes the water clear and aqua. It is great contrast to the heavy waves hitting the reef and the deep blue color it emits due to the drop off. The beach was full of dried coral remnants. Artifacts of what used to be out in the waters. When I see the shear quantity of dead coral on the shore, I am in awe that there can be any coral left at sea. But in a few steps into the water, the brain coral appears all around. That evening we went to Jules’ house to say goodbye to her family and thank them for their hospitality. It has been very fun to get to know these wonderful people and be included in their wedding and Christmas celebration. The night was capped off by learning a new card game to bring home with me. Leaving me with both the Chamorro and American influence of one family wrapped into a single visit.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb