Day 61: The Baza Wedding


Advertisement
Guam's flag
Oceania » Guam
January 5th 2019
Published: January 10th 2019
Edit Blog Post

The purpose of the trip to Guam arrived today with the celebration of a wedding. Today in front of family and friends, Jules and Zach celebrated their wedding. They had a beautiful service at the Cathedral. It was a very traditional Catholic wedding with a beautiful choir. My favorite was the singing of the Our Father in Chamorro which filled the church. The reception was quite the affair with a feast of various foods equivalent to Nobena. One plate was not enough to try everything, but too much to have room to go back for seconds. The one regret of the evening was not having enough room in my stomach. During the speeches, Jules’ mom brought out their German tradition which has been passed down since her grandparents. The story goes that her grandparents wanted to get married. Before the parents would give their blessing, they told Jules’ great grandfather he must create a cup that both can drink from simultaneously without spilling a drop. If he could do this, they would give their blessing. This cup is still in existence and used at every family wedding. For the father daughter and mother son dance, a cha-cha was the choice. The other fun difference was the godparents started the dollar dance and instead of giving money to a collector, the godparents gave you a pin to pin your money onto the bride’s dress or groom’s tux. The night was full of dancing, laughing and celebrating the new couple.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb