Day 63: Wrapping up in Guam


Advertisement
Guam's flag
Oceania » Guam
January 7th 2019
Published: January 11th 2019
Edit Blog Post

On our last day in Guam, we spent the day with Shelby’s friend Amanda. We were lucky enough to have her take us to the Guam Museum. Amanda has served in the Guam government to various capacities since she returned and is passionate about the decolonizataion of Guam. She has spoken as the Guam representative to the United Nations and was recently defeated in a run for the United States House of Representative. A new museum building was finished in 2014 and it is magnificent. It is very interactive in digital display and has many cabinets filled of treasures for kids and adults to discover. The two periods of Guam’s history that intrigued me most was prior to colonization of the Spaniards. During this time the Chamorros sailed on boats and built canoes to explore the reef. They spear fished and made hooks and sinkers out of rocks, shells and bone. Coconut leaves were used to build baskets, contain rice for cooking, and traps for shrimp. Everything was purposeful and simple. The second period was during WW2 and immediately after. Japan took over the island and was a harsh ruler of the people, especially when it became apparent they would lose the war. They took natives to concentration camps and many were killed, injured or forced into labor. When the US regained control, they moved over 250,000 troops onto the island to fight in the Pacific and over 70% of the land. This was a huge strain on an island previously inhabited by less than 75,000 people. Now the US military owns about 30% of the land and there is still a double edge sword in feelings towards the US for defeating the Japanese and maintaining a presence now. For example, Guam has a representative in the House, but s/he is only able to introduce bills but not actual vote on them. The people of Guam have a local government and their own legislator, but are unable to vote in US National elections. Yet, they are subjected to the national laws passed. Note to the group, if you have the chance to have poki don’t pass it up.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb