Papeete, Good Food Good Company


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia
November 21st 2015
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -16.4993, -151.74

After two days at sea during which we won a couple of quizzes and I learnt the alto part to Let It Be, we arrived at Papeete. We were on deck at 7am to watch the approach. This is the first port which is familiar as I had been here in 2013 for the Oceania Championships. Fletcher has visited here many times. It was still interesting to watch as we passed Moorea and entered the harbour to tie up right in the heart of the city.

It was a warm sunny day. Our plans were to find the WiFi and have lunch at La Villa, a French restaurant which we had discovered last time. At the dockside we were greeted with local music and the usual display of handicrafts. We then crossed the busy road and strolled along the main street lined with Tahitian Black Pearl shops. The prices for these beautiful gems were astronomical but we enjoyed looking. Further along I did find a pair of Keisha pearl earrings for only $US25 so bought those. We also noticed that much of this strip had been renewed since our last visit, with what had once been derelict buildings now renovated and repainted. It was now a very attractive part of the town.

Our first task was to find La Villa and check whether they would be open for lunch. We walked up Prince Honoi avenue and then round the corner to the place. We chatted to one of the employees, who turned out to be the chef, and booked a table for 6 for 12-30pm. Then we walked around the block noticing more renovation and a couple of new restaurants since last time. We stopped at a bar on the corner where we had a beer and used the WiFi to catch up on email and post my blog. We had arranged for Judy and Roger and Steve and Sue to meet us at Les Trois Brasseurs, the brewery bar just past Prince Honoi Avenue at 12pm. However, Judy found the same bar and also got onto the WiFi.

After completing our internet tasks we walked back to the shops where we had seen some pearl earrings which Fletcher had calculated would cost about $AUS40 . Thinking of Christmas presents we were then taken aback when told they were four times that price. Fletcher had missed the extra zero on the end! We did buy a Marquesan statue in the shop next door. We then went to the brewery to meet up with the others. After a beer at the brewery all of us walked up to La Villa.

We had discovered this restaurant in 2013 when staying at the hotel round the corner. We had then recommended it to other officials and consequently they had many guests over the next few nights. The owner had generously given us a free meal for advertising his place so well. When we arrived I saw the owner outside and told him the story and, though he didn't remember, greeted us effusively. Inside was cool and there was an excellent selection to choose from. I had been craving a decent steak and when it came it was thick, cooked just right and very tender! Delicious. Fletcher had the Medallions St Jacques, large scallops wrapped in thick bacon with a vanilla sauce. He said they were scrumptious. Sue also had the steak while Judy and Roger settled for the Mahi Mahi and Steve enjoyed the Tahitian Poissons cru. We were all very satisfied by the end of the meal. We then ordered desserts and I had a Crème Brulee which was about 9.5/10 on the Chambery scale. While waiting for these the owner came to the table and generously offered us our desserts for free! Very much appreciated. With such great food, accompanied by some good French wine we were in heaven. All agreed it had been a wonderful change from the ship's very ordinary food.

After lunch Fletcher and I walked through the back streets. We stopped at this fantastic bottle shop which had a wide range of wine and other condiments such as jams and terrines etc wrapped ready for Christmas presents. We would have loved to have bought from here but the prices were far too high. We then went to the Cathedral which is quite decorative but not as pretty as the one on Nuku Hiva. We met Dan, one of our fellow travellers, and he took us to a lovely shop with clothes for kids. He needed some advice for purchases for his grandkids and I succumbed and bought a special present for Scarlett for her birthday.
After a final purchase of wine we returned to the ship about 5pm. After a shower and change of clothes it was up on deck for the Sail Away. The day had been great with a lovely meal spent with excellent company.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb