Sunny Suva


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
June 28th 2016
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -18.1333, 178.417

Fletcher was asked to run a Jumps Coaches course in Suva leading up to the Melanesian Championships and so I was pleased to be able to go with him. It must be at least 20 years since I have been to Fiji so it was time to revisit a country I had enjoyed previously.

We first flew to Brisbane where after a short wait we boarded a Fiji Airlines plane for Suva. It was full and we were seated around the middle which meant that when the meal was served we were one of the last to receive it. Fortunately it was only a 3 hour flight so the time passed quickly.

Om arrival at Nadi we had to change terminals to catch a plane for Nausori, the airport which serves Suva. Here we ran into difficulties. The Nadi terminal is being rebuilt and the space for customs is very small. Another international flight had arrived at the same time so the queue for passport control was humungous. A lovely attendant asked if we had a connecting flight and when we said yes we were put on a shorter queue. However, time was ticking. By the time we got through customs and nearly ran to the Domestic terminal we were there only one minute before they closed the flight.

Another short flight, 30 minutes, and we arrived in Suva where we were met by a driver and then a 30 minute drive into the city. It was dark by then so I couldn't see any landmarks but Fletcher recognised places along the way.

We are staying in the Suva Motor Inn which has large studio rooms equipped with a microwave and small kitchen. Very comfortable. It has a lovely pool and is set amidst lush gardens not far from the old Parliament building. We had dinner here last night which was OK but nothing to shout about. Tomorrow we will explore Suva and, hopefully, someone will contact Fletcher to show him where he will be lecturing etc.

On Monday morning, after breakfast, Fletcher rang the Athletics Fiji office and contacted Selwyn there who agreed to pick us up at 12-30 and show Fletcher where he will be lecturing. Fletcher and I then walked into the main part of Suva, It is much bigger than I remember it and packed with cars. We found a supermarket and bought some coffee and yoghurt and milk and then a couple of bottles of wine for our fridge. We then caught a taxi back, at the cost of $F3. The weather here is great. It is about 23 degrees but with a cool breeze and not much humidity. Perfect!

At 12-30 we were picked up by our dear old friend Vuli! We met him the first time we came to Fiji in 1977 and have been friends ever since. He drove us to FASANOC, the local Olympic centre, where Fletcher was greeted as a long lost brother by the people working there. We checked out the facilities and arrangements with Selwyn who met us there later. After making a time for Fletcher to arrive in the morning, Vuli then drove us along the waterfront and dropped us at the Holiday Inn where we planned to have lunch. Suva does not have any beaches but the water comes right up to the sea walls. Lunch was fish and chips, accompanied by a glass of Fiji Bitter. We sat outside, in a lovely garden, and relaxed.

We then walked back to the hotel past the old Parliament building and Albert Park. This area I remembered well. We rested for the rest of the afternoon while Fletcher sorted out his notes etc for the next day. For dinner Fletcher took me to one of his favourite spots, Tiko's, which the locals refer to as the Lifeboat. This is because it is on a boat on the waterfront. Here we had a lovely meal starting with Kokonda, the local marinated fish dish known as ceviche in other parts of the world. I then ad salmon, lobster with a lemon caper sauce, while Fletcher chose the fisherman's basket like he usually does. After a little break we finished with a delicious cheesecake, all washed down with a sauv blanc. A lovely evening!!

This morning Fletcher left about 8am but I took my time. At 10am I ventured out back to the town. Fletcher asked me to make some enquiries at the Library about old newspapers for his search for statisitcs and I did that, being helped to find the Archives across the road where a Lovely lady called Tulia was very helpful. I also discovered that I could go on line at the library for $!-50 for half an hour. I walked on and checked out the large shopping malls on the waterfront. Nothing special there and all fairly pricey. Walking back along the esplanade I discovered the local handcraft market so browsed there making a couple of purchases. Then back to the library where I checked email, posted on Facebook and caught up with the news. Lunch at the Red Dog café followed before heading back to the Motor Inn.

The concept of free WiFi in cafes etc is alien here. There are a hot spots but vouchers are needed and when I tried to buy one I was told I needed to get a local SIM card. Therefore my posts will be sparser than usual, however I will do what I can.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



28th June 2016

If you hit the waterslide, can Fletcher please take a photo?
28th June 2016

Lovely to see you both travelling again. Weather looks beautiful there! I'm envious!

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb