Fiji to Hawai'i


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
September 28th 2008
Published: September 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our names are Mark, Ollie and Dale and this is to be the longest day of our lives........

The weather was crap; it rained all morning so we did very little! After a late breakfast we sat around and chatted before forcing ourselves to go and pack up all our stuff. As it contined to remain wet outside, we sat in the bar and played cards. (I think the hangovers from Mana Island were still lingering). We took advantage of the good food once again for lunch before hitting the road around 3pm. We arrived back in Nadi a few hours later and had dinner whilst watching a film in the hostel where we had rented the car from. After dinner, it was time for goodbyes and the very nice lady from the hostel drove us to the airport.

It was now time to go 'back in time'. We boarded the plane around 10.30pm and after a 6 hour flight, we arrived in Honolulu at 7.30am the same day. We were all pretty tired but managed to battle our way through the ridiculous U.S security without any serious problems. To avoid the large taxi fare into central Honolulu we managed to take the public bus with all our bags. We had been warned that we would not be allowed with all our luggage but i guess we just had a sympathetic driver, plus it was Sunday and the bus was fairly quiet. There were a few disgruntled passengers but we arrived in Waikiki without too many problems.

We checked into a dump hostel for what seemed like a fortune and quickly headed out into Waikiki. Our first mistake was to go to McDonalds for breakfast. The combination of sausage and egg McGriddles and burritos for an outrageous price meant that the second breakfast of the day was not fully enjoyed.

From there we wandered around Waikiki trying to plan our remaining 12 days on O'ahu (the second biggest of the Hawai'ian island group!). We went and used the internet and discovered that we could rent a car for pennies. We booked the rental for the following day and then headed out to find new accomodation. We found a good hotel room which with a rather large room complete with kitchen and so we booked it for the following night. Feeling much better with ourselves, we went for lunch. This was found in the food court of Ala Moana Mall and was also a good reason to go shopping!

In the afternoon, we ambled through Waikiki and along the beach before returning to our crappy hostel to watch TV and do some laundry. By this point, after a 40 hour day with very little sleep, we were all tired and went to bed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb