O'ahu - the beginning of another holiday!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
September 29th 2008
Published: October 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today was a 'busy' day. As we didn't want to take the chance of getting on the public bus with all our bags again, Ollie and Dale left Mark in the hostel to guard the luggage. They took the bus back to the airport where they were to pick up the rental car. After a few hours, Mark was beginning to get a bit worried but then he caught site of a white convertible cruising into the parking lot of the hostel. It had turned out that the car we wanted to rent was not available and so we were upgraded for free to a convertible Chrysler Seabring!

We loaded up the boot with our luggage, which unfortunately meant the roof had to be up, and then headed to Subway for our lunch. Since O'ahu was only 40 miles across, we decided not to rush the island and went to the cinema for the afternoons entertainment.

After the film, we checked into our hotel and went to the supermarket for food supplies. On the way back from the supermarket, Dale thought he was back in England and after driving on the left side for a while Ollie corrected him and we were soon safely on the correct side of the road. Meanwhile, Mark was in his own little world and hadn't even noticed.

The evening was very relaxed and after dinner we watched a film and had a good nights rest!

On Tuesday, we were in no hurry to get out of bed and our day began around midday. We had breakfast and made ourselves a packed lunch before heading to the west side of the island. When we ran out of road, we stopped at a deserted beach and had our lunch. We played around in the sand for a while but not wanting to burn, we were soon back on the road. We stopped for some brief bargain hunting on the way home and then drove back to Waikiki. On the way home though, disaster struck - we were in central Honolulu and Mark's treasured hat was stripped from his head and blew into the road. He turned around just in time to watch the following car run right over it. He shouted for Dale to pull over and quickly sprinted up the central reservation. To his surprise, it was still lying in the road! With hindsight, it was probably not worth it since dodging the 6 lanes of traffic to retrive the hat was a little dangerous. However, the hat was successfully back in Mark's possession. That was now the third hat tragedy of the trip and it escaped with only minor injuries.

The evening was spent in the room once again with dinner, TV, cards and of course some Gin!

On wednesday, we were feeling slightly more energetic. First task was to pack up our stuff and move to a cheaper room. We had to sacrifice the 8th floor view but it was more financially viable to us. After switching rooms we made our sandwiches and headed off towards Hanauma Bay. We had to pay to get into the bay and then were forced to watch a 9 minute video explaining to us how to correctly behave once on the beach and in the sea. After lunch, we rented some snorkels and went turtle hunting. Ollie and Dale both found some but Mark got fed up with his leaky mask and lay on the beach instead.

Once we were all snorkeled out and the day was drawing to a close we drove back towards Waikiki. The evening was once again spent in the room. Our budget meals and duty free alcohol made for another cheap evening.

By Thursday we were getting into a routine and after making our packed lunch, we headed to the north shore. We drove through the historic town of Hale'Iwa and made camp on sunset beach. We had our sweaty sandwiches for lunch and spend the afternoon relaxing on the beach. As our day had not started until midday, it was soon time to head back to our hotel for the evening. We (Dale) was adventurous with dinner and we enjoyed a chinese style stir fry with egg fried brown rice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Beach TimeBeach Time
Beach Time

Hanauma Bay


Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb