(Almost) Paradise Regained


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Nadi
November 19th 2007
Published: November 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Nadi MarketNadi MarketNadi Market

market traders- nadi City
Hello, welcome and most importantly "Bula" from Fiji.
As you will have gathered, we have safely arrived in Fiji after a 36 hour door to door journey ! The upgrade to Premium economy did help to ameliorate some of our discomfort and you can be sure that we made the most of the free Champagne and wine and other freebies on offer.

Anyway, The Aquarius hotel in Nadi is basic but clean,comfortable and right on the sea front and we have the advantage of a balcony looking out over the palm trees onto the sea. Weather was a bit hit and miss for the first couple of days, this being the rainy season, but the last couple of days have been clear and sunny. The ambient temperature is 82f (28c) but the sun is very strong.

The other guests in the hotel are a mixture between 20 something backpacker types and retired couples. Not sure which category we fall into ! Food has been great and we have mainly eaten aromatic curries and lots of fish and fresh salads so we are well catered for.

The Fijian people are very friendly and softly spoken. Walking along the beach,
Hindu TempleHindu TempleHindu Temple

Nadi City
everyone stops to greet you with a Bula and enquire where you're from and hoping that you have a good stay in Fiji. The flora and fauna is similar to that of India or any other tropical island. Coconuts, sugar cane, tapioca date palms etc and a very lush landscape. Not many animals but we did see a mongoose the other day.

This is our last day in the Aquarius hotel before we head off to the Yasawa islands for 4 weeks. Some of these islands were used for the Bounty chocolate adverts (for those old enough to remember) The Tom Hanks film Castaway and for the more "high-brow" Celebrity love Island" so we are certainly looking forward to finding some sort of island paradise.

We're not sure how many of the Islands will actually have internet connection or indeed electricity but we will send a blog as soon as we can. Until then, love to all and hope those of you in the UK aren't enduring too cold a winter.

Bula Tina here - for my old mates keeping a tally of my usual accident prone events you can add slicing a nice piece of my
Where's Tina?Where's Tina?Where's Tina?

View from balcony
ankle off with my Bic razor - a venus it is not! and also whilst petting a young foal whilst lying on my sunbed he reared his front hooves and tried to trample me! how embarrassing was that! so far i have managed to avoid the falling coconuts but for how much longer??????
I have been very happy with entertainment from some Fijian fire dancers with a lovely bit of singing and that all important thigh slapping.
The only issue not that you will care is the bloody mosquitos are taking chunks out of us day and night - will someone please tell me why once you scratch one of the bites you then need to scratch every other one! oh well, see you soon (well in a year)

D & T


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

November 18 sunriseNovember 18 sunrise
November 18 sunrise

Local fisherman


19th November 2007

Hmmmm
Sounds like you're having a wonderful time, wish it were me. Will the 2 of you be staying on seperate islands (like the programme) then meeting up once a week to see if you want to stay together? Tina, remember that in order to defrost anything you need to stand on a table and hold the item closer to the sun - works a treat everytime. Been a very poor weekend here in the Channel Islands, wind, rain, fog but fortunately no snow, Crevices or Robson's. Keep well and hope to hear from you again soon.
19th November 2007

Accidents
Well done Tina, keep up the good work. We knew you wouldn't fail us, don't worry I am sure you will get to roll down a hill soon!!! Love to you both
20th November 2007

Greetings.
Daren have you tried the local brew Kava, never fear it's not alcoholic. It's a narcotic. The drill is:- you are gathered round a large bowl of the stuff with an even larger Figian squatting beside it, you clap three times and are given a cup of it. For each refill you clap three times; when you are unable to place your hands together thee times consecutively you've had enough. Usualy my lips went numb after three cups. Tina you can look forward to meeting, free of charge, the Kiwi version of Mozzi especially in the lower South Island around about the Milford Sound, we call them our Ambassadors, they leave a lasting impression. Love from Rosemary and Brian.
22nd November 2007

Kava & Mozzies
Hi Brian Yeah, we had our first Kava ceremony last night (many more to come I'm sure). Only had 2 cups and not really sure what to make of it. Tina didn't like the smell and the "dirty" rag they used to prepare it with so it may not be our drink of choice in the future. Thanks for the warning about Mozzies. we will make sure we're fully stocked up with DEET before we head off. D&T
7th December 2007

Cyclone Damon
Hope you are both still on terra firma as Cycone Damon has just blown thru your way as you are no doubt aware. With luck it will have passed you by with high winds and heavy rain. Let's know your news Daren and Tina, we are thinking of you. Love from Brian and Rosemary.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb