Border Village, SA - 1 night


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
October 20th 2016
Published: October 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

DSC_1892DSC_1892DSC_1892

View of the Bight as we head away from WA
'Twas a short drive of 404km from the rest stop to our next camp. We are back on the Eyre Highway tracing our tracks back toward Ceduna. We were planning to push through to the Nullabor Roadhouse but the 40 degree temperature saw us take a smarter option and stop at Border Village for a cold drink. The old Maverick has the old style of air con – four wind down windows!

While we were getting the drinks, I noticed a pool behind the first lot of units. A casual "how much for an unpowered site?" was met with "$15". Brilliant! And we got to use the pool (awesome), and there was a bar (Bundy Rum – whooooot) and we could have camp fires. Besides the flying cockroaches and other bugs, it was near perfect and was definitely the pick of the roadside camps so far.

The kids and I went for a drive through the bush around us (mostly National Park so no wood collection) in search of timber and we eventually crossed back over to WA where the was no NP and got a few logs. A great roast beef cooked on the Webber with fire roasted veggies, washed down wil a few ales ended a pretty good day.

The kids were impressed with a new 4WD ute that had snapped its' chassis in half behind the cab. Apparently it happened hitting a pothole as these people were pulling into camp.

Before we left the bar we got chatting to some staff that said tomorrow was the race from Eucla to Border Village to raise money for the Flying Doctors. They nearly convinced Nathan to enter but we have a 485km drive tomorrow so it didn't quite happen. Maybe next year when it is doubled to half-marathon distance...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb