Driving the countryside...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
August 31st 2015
Published: September 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

We have had a lot of adventures since the last blog update and hope that I get all of them for you! I am also slowly updating pictures of our highlights from the trip! Thanks for the patience. I am partially lazy and low on the wifi access.

In Cairns, we went up to Cape Tribulation where we walked along the beaches, camped out for the first time and we survived 😊 booya. We wanted to do an excursion (zip lining or horse back riding) but all of them were booked out the couple days we were there. When we went back to Cairns, we went out on a reef tour for the day. It was amazing - we even saw a sea turtle 😊

We then got our car checked out before leaving and took a couple days to get it fixed before hitting the road inland. It need a couple dollars to get fixed but at least it will make it through the countryside.

After the car was ready, we hit the road to go inland. It was a lot of driving, with towns that are far and few between. We camped out along the way to save some money but it would get very cold at night. There was a cold front coming up from the south that made it freezing. I had about 2-3 layers on and was still cold at night! We saw lots of dead kangaroos along the sides of the road too. On our way to Darwin we even had a kangaroo jump across the street in front of us! It is scary cause they can do some damage to your car.

We made it to Darwin safely and found out that accommodation is very expensive up here. SO the plan was to camp out and explore the city. We saw a really cool jail that was used in the 1800's - they had a building for the youth and the real sick where the rooms were right next to each other! Crazy. We also saw the lagoon, went to the Mindel Night Markets that were pretty sweet - they had a mini crocodile and a guy whom was doing a wip demonstartion.

After exploring Darwin, we went to Litchfield National Park. They had amazing water falls that you could swim in. We ended up visiting four of them (Wangi, Buely RockHole, Florence and Tomler). They were so nice - and we ended up camping in the area as well. Would totally reccommend doing this and almost wish we stayed an extra day up there.

Then we were off to Kakadu National Park - which cost us $25 each to visit. We stayed in the park, which was super buggy compared to all the other places we stayed. We wondered around the Rocks that had a lot of Aboriginal Art which was cool. We also slept in a bed for the first time in almost 2 weeks (there is a lot of land to cover in land, which means a lot of camping!). We had fun but would have been better if we had a 4WD as there were a lot of things to see off the beaten track.

Then it was the drive to the big rocks in the middle! (Uluru and the Olgas). We stopped for a night in Alice Springs which was a nice little town with some nice mountains in the background.

Then we hit the rocks! They are a lot bigger than you would think, plus we even saw some camels along the side of the road. Only downer was that there was rain and overcast the whole time we were there. Scott was unable to walk up the rock (which found out later, it is a $5,000 fine to go do it illegally!) due to the rain, which was heartbreaking for him. We tried to even watch the sunset but didn't work as the clouds got in the way. We camped again that night and the rain kept going down all night! It started to leak into the tent which was not to much fun the next morning - we even wrapped everything in plastic bags in the tent just to stay dried. The next couple days were to be shitty - so we checked out the Olga's in overcast and hit the road to make a dent in our drive towards Perth.

Side Note: When we drove in the area of Alice Springs (and still in the Northern Territory) we were able to drive as fast as you like! It was insane, the normal speed limit up there was 130km/h.

We went to Copper Pedy - which is an opal mining town that people have made accomodations in the underground area of the old mines. So we stayed in a backpackers that was underground - it was super cool. The backpackers had dorm rooms that had many beds in one room with no doors on them! They even had a 21 bed dorm! The town also gave off a vibe that made you feel like Aliens were going to come at any time - plus the people gave off weird vibes there too.

Then we had a very long drive along the bottom heading West and through an area called the Nulliabar. It is the area of the largest golf course in the world - it is 1350 km long. We saw even more kangaroos (live and dead), emu's, wallabies (dead) and some sheep hanging out on the side of the road. There were even cows that would hang out there too (they are apparently deadly if you hit them, worse than kangaroo's)!

We finally made it to Perth! Stay tuned for the next post on our next adventures - don't want to bore you to much on this post.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb