Byron Bay with the Boys


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
January 23rd 2012
Published: January 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

We got to Byron Bay on Wednesday and met up with John, Kent and Trapper. As soon as we got there we went to the beach. AMAZING. The waves were huge the first day we got there and got played in them forever. Got a little burnt and have the stupidest tan lines right now. I am going to have to paint by number on myself with sunscreen. Had our first Goon experience aka, a 5 liter box of wine, not that bad for like $15. Went out drinking that night, super fun. Thursday was Kent’s birthday so we went on a giant hike to the lighthouse. Took forever but, was totally worth it. We stopped at the most easterly point in Australia and saw wild dolphins playing in the waves. When we got to the top and saw the lighthouse and the crazy pretty view. We had some ice cream and then walked back down. We had our free dinner at the hostel and got Kent a box of goon for his Birthday present. We all went out that night to this bar that had a ‘paint party’ so much fun. Kent sang the Red Hot Chili Peppers as a Karaoke song. We’ve been eating ‘pies’ as our drunk food it is like meat pie but, I got this one that had ricotta and broccoli, delish. Sunday we all decided to go to Nimbin, it’s like a weed capital of all of Australia. Such a messed up place. It was just a bunch of crack heads. We went into the ‘museum’ and it was just filled with this random bunch of shit it looked like a hoarders house. Super sketchy. After we left Nimbin we went to the hanging rock fresh water water fall. It was really pretty and we climbed probably like 20 metres above the water and went off a rope swing. Laur was super brave and went first, she managed to do it somewhat gracefully. Then I went, and naturally was terrible at it. I hit the water so hard pretty much on my face that I bruised my entire leg. Laura managed to half break her finger and we built a splint out of a chips (fry) container. Actually, John managed to make the splint and I taped it up. Benefits of traveling with three lifeguards I guess. The hostel we stayed at was the BEST! A must to go to if you are in Byron. For $30 a night you get free dinner every night which is surprisingly fairly good. The guys were in a different room than us and legit had the funniest people ever in their room, About 8 Canadians and a hilarious Swiss Banker and an Asian guy from Germany who was hilarious. We regularly just sat in the hostel drinking goon and laughing. Such a good time. Today we went to Surfers Paradise. Laura and I rented a car and we drove convoy like North. It was a pretty drive and only took us maybe an hour. After dropping the car off at the rental place we went and played in the ocean for a bit and came back to the hostel. Trapper and I made dinner, a pork stir-fry with Sweet Chili Thai sauce. It was great and we were all so happy to have an actual home-cooked meal with a ton of vegetables. Probably, going to take it easy tonight since we are on like night 5 of straight drinking and need a rest. We love it here, it is so warm all the time. Tomorrow the house hunt and job hunt commences.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb