Janet touches a bat


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
November 10th 2011
Published: November 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we took a drive up to the Daintree rainforest and Cape Tribulation. This is as far north in Queensland as you can drive without an off road vehicle. The road looked like it was hacked straight out of the jungle. When we rolled down the car windows it was a symphony of noises.....screeching bugs, loud birds and all manner of creepy crawlies, I'm sure.

We stopped at a bat rescue center. They had a young bat who had been brought in by someone who witnessed it's mother being devoured by a python. Hats off to whomever will run over to rescue a young bat when a python is laying nearby.....we were able to handle and touch the young bat. Their faces are actually quite cute...big brown eyes, furry muzzle and kitten-like ears....you just need to get past the big leathery wings and claw feet. The wings feel like the bubble on a piece of bubble gum. The girl in the bat center was quite chatty and helpful....perhaps she had been sitting alone with the bats for awhile....

Most of the drive through the jungle had big signs warning all cars to slow down due to cassowary crossings. Remember, these are ostrich sized birds. Paul and I slowed way down....while the Cassowary Heritage Fund tour buses blew past us. Guess the only way they'll spot a cassowary is when it bounces off the hood.

The beaches, as always, are basically empty. Miles of white sand, palm fringed beaches, with nary a soul.

Saw another field full of wild kangaroos and wallabies on the drive back....ho hum....

Now we are sitting on our balcony watching the full moon shimmer on the ocean.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb