Cairns Day2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
November 7th 2011
Published: November 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we ventured off on a drive to the rain forest and waterfalls after breakfasting on our oceanside balcony. We decided to drive into the mountains and take the waterfall circuit. We took a peek into the bat rehab center in Kurunda where they take care of injured bats. There is a tick-borne bat disease going on now, so they were closed, but we peeked through the fence and saw hundreds of them. The lady at the information booth told us of a nearby golf course where we might see wild kangaroos. As we pulled up, we stared morosely at miles of empty golf course....until Paul shrieked out "I see hopping!". we sped the car down to the end of the golf course, nearly wetting ourselves in excitement, and there were mobs upon mobs of wild kangaroos! Hopping here, hopping there, hopping hopping everywhere!! Janet took a million pictures. Paul was also excited to have seen them, possibly because Janet mentioned about a MILLION times how VERY much she wanted to see wild kangaroos....

We continued our drive and saw the first of five waterfalls. As we hiked down numerous signs warned of an aggressive cassowary in the area....these are ostrich sized birds with huge, multicolored crests that look like they came from dinosaur times....we were cautious...the ranger told us it had attacked a woman and left claw gashes in her back as it ran over her. We quickly saw an 80 meter crater that had been formed by a build up of explosive gas that erupted....sounds like 'bean burrito night' at our house....

We took the waterfall circuit and stopped to swim at Millaa Millaa Falls. Clear pool of water and swimming out and under the falls.

Enjoyed the rest of the countryside and made it back to Trinity Beach by nightfall.

Advertisement



7th November 2011

Living vicariously
Your blog entries are hilarious, Janet! The upside of forgetting the cable to upload the pictures is that I can use your colorful descriptions to conjure up the image in my mind. Here is what I have so far: golf courses full of madly, hopping kangaroos and the two of you jumping up and down in sympathetic joy, Paul driving on the left side of the road (doing a wonderful job, really) and you trying not to 'back seat drive' but talking nonetheless about possible options in left or right turns, crazy creatures that look like ostriches sneaking behind bushes waiting to trounce unsuspecting tourists, very loud aussie birds that ruin an otherwise perfectly lovely view and vodka soda cocktail. Lovely views, did I already say that? Lovely views all over...

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb