Australia - The very tip of the Iceberg


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
September 1st 2009
Published: September 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Australia is quite big. In fact it’s feckin’ huge. What we got to see was only the tip of the ice berg. Not even that. It was the small drop of ice at the very top. It’s definitely a place we will have to return to but you would need a year to be able to say you have seen the country. Overall we travelled 4000km from Sydney to Cairns over the space of a month. As it was rushed we only got to see some of the highlights but we have some great memories from our time there.

First up was our time spent in Sydney. It was more like a break from travelling. We met up with some of Michelle’s friends and family and also met up with Katy from South America. Tony and Sally looked after us and fed us more than we could eat for our 4 days there. Sydney was also impressive as a city to us and the Blue mountains are a sight to be seen. For the most part of our trip it became ‘what animal can we see today’? Camels, Dolphins, Whales, Kangaroo’s, Koalas, the list was endless. Our swim with Calamity the dolphin in Coffs Harbour will never be forgotten and after a moth of waiting a whale finally breached for us while going to the Great Barrier Reef. Getting a trip on a camel was quite unique, considering we didn’t know Australia had one camel never mind 1.7 million.

Our day out to Wet’n’Wild was exciting even if we were wrecked after running up and down all those stairs with rubber tubs on our shoulders. Barbeques, we’ll gladly not have one again for awhile. Great at first but tiring a month later after having them nearly every day. Our stay in Rainbow Beach where Michelle’s friends Sinead and Ruth were working was fun. Again we were well looked after. From there we did our tour of Fraser Island, the worlds largest sand island. One of the last things we did though was visit the Great Barrier Reef, which is easily one of the best things we have done since we left home.

A month later and we’re on a flight to Singapore. New Zealand and Australia have been more like a long holiday than backpacking. Our cultural development course starts again. We really cant wait. We hope it beats South America. The reason I say that is, South America was so amazing if it can be topped we are in for some treat.

In a bit. DH

Song of the blog: Oasis - Headshrinker (Still don’t know when I’ll get over this!)





Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 1.122s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb