The Outback


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia
November 17th 2007
Published: December 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Improved entry. Here goes: The first awareness we had of being in the beginnings of the outback was the heat (naturally). It is difficult to explain how much it affects your mind, your comfort and energy levels. We first noticed this when we'd driven up to Port Augusta after leaving Adelaide. We planned to stop off at the huge jetty in Port Pirie (you'll see in the pictures) to meet some dolp... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 85, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Beginning of a ThunderstormBeginning of a Thunderstorm
Beginning of a Thunderstorm

A very long awaited storm in Coober Pedy. That was the night we rented some space to kip in a cool cave. I was rather worried that the rain would wash all the not to incy spiders down. Didn't see any though - just a couple of big lizards.
Coober Pedy Thunder StormCoober Pedy Thunder Storm
Coober Pedy Thunder Storm

Lightening captured in a shot after only 2 hours of trying.
Road Train RefuellingRoad Train Refuelling
Road Train Refuelling

At one of the homesteads we stayed at.
The Point of No ReturnThe Point of No Return
The Point of No Return

Pretty nail biting stuff. Crossing over into the Northern Territory set my fear about water quantities off again.
Uluru?Uluru?
Uluru?

Nope, this is Mt Conner. A regular stop off for coaches and travellers alike to take pictures just like this one to fool the folks at home.
My Folk Album Cover PicMy Folk Album Cover Pic
My Folk Album Cover Pic

We had worn all of our clothes and hadn't seen a laundry in ages. This was all I had left but it was actually rather airy!
Phew!Phew!
Phew!

Always source for a smile when the fuel gauge is running low and you've just driven past a third emaciated cow (still to come).
It is not from this worldIt is not from this world
It is not from this world

Ok - so here's an "Off the wall theory". It may have been the heat getting to us but we both reckon Uluru is actually a crashed spaceship that landed by mistake yonks ago then it decayed and rusted and was covered in sand from the desert winds. Have a good gander and the rest of the photo's and see what you think. I welcome any geographical logic but have never been so amazed by such a strange rock in my life.
UluruUluru
Uluru

Please examine it closely.
UluruUluru
Uluru

or is it the ships hatch/cargo door?
UluruUluru
Uluru

There is a 9.8km road which goes right around the rock. You are only allowed to take photo's of the less sacred areas of the rock (we respected this). You can walk it we drove instead & didn't touch it. Ps - The sacred sites are even more convincing at the alien spacecraft theory, you would have to go yourself to check this out though.
Cheap at Half The PriceCheap at Half The Price
Cheap at Half The Price

You can opt to spend 100's of dollars to dine in the luxurious Uluru resort with view of the sun setting on the rock. Instead, we shamelessly rustled up a meal in a car park down the road and enjoyed a better view completely on our own.
UluruUluru
Uluru

We managed to get a prime spot at this lookout before sunset. I was chillaxing like all the other earlybirds while Thom was rigging up all the photo equipment at top speed.
Uluru - SunsetUluru - Sunset
Uluru - Sunset

The next few pictures are here to show the subtle changes in light and thus colour of the rock.
Sorry Mammy!Sorry Mammy!
Sorry Mammy!

I know this is the height of dangerous driving but my foot was no longer able to move, we were in the same gear for the whole day and driving alone on the road in a straight line. I won't let it happen again.



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb