Story Bridge


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
September 3rd 2012
Published: September 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Brisbane is one of the most populous cities in Australia. For decades the city authorities have devised numerous plans to smoothen its traffic congestion by building a strong infrastructure in all the areas. One such infrastructure which was designed to reduce the congestion on Victoria Bridge is the Story Bridge.

Story Bridge was opened in the year 1940 and is named after John Douglas Story who was an influential Australian politician and one of the key persons who advocated strongly for its construction.

The bridge spans the Brisbane River and connects the Fortitude Valley to the Kangaroo point. The construction was completed in five years and was designed by John Bradfield who is also known for constructing the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

The bridge is 1072 meters long and spans 282 meters across the river. The highest point of the bridge is 74 meters from the ground level and is 24 meters wide including the footpaths. The bridge is repaired once is seven years and is known for its superb design and architecture.

Story Bridge is very popular among the tourists who want to indulge in adventure tourism. Thousands of tourists climb up the bridge in order to view the city from the top. Standing on the top of the bridge also gives a great view of the Brisbane River.

The climb on the bridge is very well organized and is conducted in a professional manner. The climb is totally safe and all the necessary safety precautions are taken during the climb. Tourists can climb up the bridge and enjoy the magnificent view of the city from the top without bothering about the safety issues.

The staff at the bridge is extremely supportive and is always ready to address any concerns a tourist may have. All the staff members are extremely professional and have the necessary skills and experience to assist people in such activities.

One of the most attractive features at the bridge is the abseil climbing which is done under a supervision of an experienced instructor. All tourists are given a 30 minute brief on safety measures and climbing instructions before they star the climb. Abseil climbing is a lot of fun and an experience worth remembering lifetime.

Besides the above there are plenty of things which a tourist can do at the story bridge. The bridge is not just important historically, it is also one of the iconic landmarks of the city which is definitely worth a visit.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb