Hopetoun


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
January 5th 2012
Published: January 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This Blog entry covers our stay in Hopetoun up to the 8th January 2012. See also the blog entry Christmas day in Hopetoun.



Hopetoun

We chose Hopetoun as our ‘home’ for the festive season of 2011, a small town on the South Coast of Western Australia. What it offered us for our festive break was a small town community with fantastic beaches sheltered from prevailing weather (wind). This coastline was first charted by Matthew Flinders in the ‘Investigator’ in 1802. Edward John Eyre and his Aboriginal companion Wylie in their East to West trek then followed through the area in 1841, and the first European settlers , the Dunn brothers arrived in 1868.

Originally named Mary Ann Haven by whaler Mr Thomas in 1871, the town was surveyed in 1900 and the name changed to Hopetoun being named after the 7th Earl of Hopetoun and, Governor General of Australia, John Hope. The townsite was gazetted on 9 February 1901.

Hopetoun grew first as a coastal town servicing the Phillips River Gold Mining District after gold was found (1898 – 1900) around Ravensthorp , leading to a mining boom. It was a terminus of one of
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA

Annie Peak and Pt Charles Bay from the sand dunes
Western Australian Government Railways' isolated branch lines between Hopetoun and Ravensthorpe, and became a shipping port for the mining industry, with a jetty built in 1901. The railway closed in 1925 and the port closed in 1936, with the jetty remaining until its destruction in 1983. This development continued with the climax of mining in 1911 and then a slow decline.

The town continued as a small service town and a fishing/holiday destination until early 2004 when renewed interest in Nickel production brought BHP to town with the construction of the Bandalup Hill mine. From 2004 to 2008 there was rapid development in Hopetoun to support the mining; extensive housing projects , new Primary School, desalination plant, wind power generation, mains sewerage system, new airport for jet aircraft with sealed runway, Police Station, new sporting facilities, (bowls club, football club and tennis courts) and the sealing of the towns streets. Most of this was funded by BHP. Nickel production at the mine began in 2007 and then….

…The town suffered a setback of sorts with Australian mining giant BHP announcing the closure of the Bandalup Hill Nickel Mine due to cost blowouts and the world Nickel price collapse.
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA

...our beach 100 mtrs from campsite


In 2009 there was renewed interest in Nickel and therefore the mine. Canadian miners, First Quantam Minerals purchased the mine in 2009 and production is now due to start.

Hopetoun has fantastic beaches , and a great atmosphere and despite being at least 180 Klm plus from any major shopping towns, (Esperance or Albany), it has a pub, supermarket, bakery and a couple of cafes – all a holiday maker requires, albeit there are no ‘bargains’ here. Hopetoun has a unique seaside village atmosphere and is an ideal holiday destination for families or those with interests in fishing and camping. I don’t know what impact the mine will have on the town when it reaches full production but the small population is bound to change and that will shape further the town’s economy in the future. It will always remain however, a great camping and fishing destination with beautiful beaches and bays.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA
Hopetoun, WA

Looking across to Annie Peak
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA
Hopetoun, WA

looking east along beach (towards town from campsite)
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA
Hopetoun, WA

....and more from the beach...
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA
Hopetoun, WA

what we did most of the time
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA
Hopetoun, WA

The Main Street from under the verandah at the Port Pub
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA
Hopetoun, WA

The town Xmas Tree in the park opposite the pub
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA
Hopetoun, WA

The Port Hotel looking good in twilight
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA
Hopetoun, WA

...a sunset from the dunes
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA
Hopetoun, WA

....and another
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA
Hopetoun, WA

Trish enjoying the moment
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA
Hopetoun, WA

....and down on the beach
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA
Hopetoun, WA

looking towards Annie Peak from lookout
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA
Hopetoun, WA

from lookout towards town's main street
Hopetoun, WAHopetoun, WA
Hopetoun, WA

...our campsite was in the scrubland behind the beach in this photo


6th January 2012

wow.
you are a man of amazing information Mike. neil is in awe of your photography can you get any better. We just wish we could be there to sit on the beach and enjoy. you know the song 'uptown girl' well Trish is the 'hopetoun town girl!!! love the christmas tree. the sunset piccies are totally awesome.Enjoy the next adventure. (hope you find a lovely resturant in Bunbury to celebrate Trish 60th. maybe we could skype that nite and we will have a champers in hand to wish you a happy birthday!!!!!
8th January 2012

love the sunsets
the photo are great it looks like trish is holding up the sunset were are next adventure going to take you cant wait untill the next blog best wishes love judy xxzx

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb