40 Mile Camp (Thursday 22nd May - Friday 23rd May)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 23rd 2008
Published: May 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a fairly big day on the road we pulled into ’40 Mile Camp’. We were expecting a sandy bay, but were presented with a rocky outcrop, low tide and sand that resembled red dirt. There are no facilities at this site, just a camp ground host. The amazing thing being that the camp ground was packed, the only proviso for camping - a max. 3 month stay!! Amazingly the campground was packed, mainly with regulars from Perth who spend their winters here. Our neighbours will be here until August!! We are not sure why this place is so popular. Must be the fishing! The regulars have extensive setups, perched here on the edge of the coast in the middle of nowhere. We even had a small vegie garden and a stone fireplace on our site. Matt made good use of the fire place, cooking us a beautiful roast dinner in the camp oven. Needless to say, we won’t spend our three months here. Tahlia is sure that 1 night will do!!

Matt’s Eye View


After a night in Exmouth for a shop and a shower, we headed away from the surf and beautiful reefs of Ningaloo and what felt like it must have been the pinnacle of our journey around WA. Heading as much east as north now, our next stop was Forty Mile camp. We found a red dust camp ground and an abundance of grey army fishos, staying for “around 6 months”, a quick scan around and I was thinking...why, I guess the fishing was pretty fine?



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb