Marble Bar


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
April 17th 2008
Published: April 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The roadhouse/motelThe roadhouse/motelThe roadhouse/motel

At the northern entrance to the town
Rather than writing individually we have decided to continue to use this blog to update our travels and experiences as they happen. If you do not wish to get the email advising you of the updates please feel free to unsubscribe. We hope that you find some of our ramblings interesting and we appreciate your feedback.

Both of us are now in the lucky position of working when we want to and where we want. Great to be able to choose. Later, we will relate our adventures around the State as we have purchased a 6.5m caravan (camper trailer for you in USA) which will be our home away from home.

On Sunday, 30th March Rags flew to Port Hedland (1600km north) and then drove 200km NE into the desert to Marble Bar. This town now has a population of about 300, mainly aboriginal people. Marble Bar is reputed to be the hottest town in Australia and didn't let its reputation down as it was in the high 30s C every day that week.

Rags was employed by the local school to show the teachers how to use computers efficiently in their day to day teaching. He found
"The" accommodation"The" accommodation"The" accommodation

$120/night for this
that even though they have the infrastructure to deliver this learning, the equipment was very under-utilised. By the end of the week he felt he had at least given them some ideas and encouragement. The teachers have been left to expand their repertoire in Term 2, with the school booking both of us to return for a fortnight early in Term 3 to consolidate the learning.

Below are some photos of the town and the area around it. Marble Bar was the centre of a gold mining area in the early 1900s and now is mainly a service town for the few cattle stations around and for the maintenance of the roads and telecommunications.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Chinaman PoolChinaman Pool
Chinaman Pool

Rags' Troopy. Note how green the grass is after a little bit of rain!
The BarThe Bar
The Bar

The rock was mistakenly called marble hence Marble Bar. It is actually jasper.
Flying Fox hillFlying Fox hill
Flying Fox hill

There is still the remains of the cable across what is a river during the cyclone season
Comet MineComet Mine
Comet Mine

Now a tourist attraction
Marble Bar schoolMarble Bar school
Marble Bar school

Four classrooms from K- 12.
Wall of remembranceWall of remembrance
Wall of remembrance

Plaques with details of the early settlers


17th April 2008

tripping Australia
Looks pretty desolate. I do like the UT. What is the fuel milage? Be safe and look out for stunned mullets. It is your turn...Nudge
17th April 2008

Ute
It's the school troopie so I have no idea what the fuel economy was like. We are having problems with the tags for the photos from 7 onwards. can you see these labels? or numbered labels?

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb