Bell Gorge/Tunnel Gorge


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
August 3rd 2005
Published: December 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The last full day on the Kimberley tour and possibly the highlight of the trip as we walked to stunning Bell Gorge this morning, where Rich took photos of me under a rock (as you do) whilst the others swam (and we had a bitchy gossip about them). Then we had a swim ourselves, the water was the coldest yet and the rocks were covered in algae again so majorly slippy (even for me with my fantastic balance - ha ha!) I slipped into a mini-pool/waterfall at one point which was quite brave as i didn't know how deep it was and knew i was going to land on slippery rocks and quite possibly go arse over tit. Had a gorgeous chilled-out sunbathe on a sunbaked rock by the water. It was so nice lying there with the sun on your face, feeling so happy and in such beautiful surroundings. This was possibly my happiest memory from the whole of Australia.

In the afternoon we went to Tunnel Gorge which is, guess what, a tunnel cut by a creek through the Napier Range. We waded through about 2km of dark cave in sometimes thigh-deep water and of course i didn't have a torch so had to stick as near to somebody that did as possible! I was amazed at the ancient tourists that we saw coming out of there, they must have been 80 yrs plus and wading through cold water in the dark! Saw loads of ghost bats and tiny fish and of course the obligatory stalagmites and stalagtites.. It was really beautiful.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb