Last day - we reach Broome!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
August 4th 2005
Published: December 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Last day of the Kimberley tour...! After breakfast we walked down Windjana Gorge which was right next to where we camped last night. The gorge is in a huge ridge of rock that rises out of the desert and actually used to be a West Coast Great Barrier Reef about 375-350 million years ago. It's a really stunning spot as the gorge walls rise up 90m, and the Lennard River runs through it - which is the best spot in the Kimberley for seeing freshwater crocodiles. We took loads of photos near the crocs, hoping to god that they didn't move.

After lunch we were driving along when the truck suddenly screeched to a halt and Finn yelled SNAKE!!!!!!! So we all crowded over to the windows and started snapping away! The first snake that I'd seen in the wild, it was really long, sort of beige in colour and apparently a really dangerous one (but I can't remember which type). It slithered off into the bush, completely camouflaged, THANK GOD we don't have to go and get any more firewood. Honestly the amount of times in the past month that i've picked up a log in the bush and have been just waiting for something to bite me... I can't believe i never met anything nasty all those times i was digging around in dead leaves and termite-infested trunks.

We drove over huge flood plains towards Derby (again a really different type of Australian scenery) stopping off at a huge boab tree and i took some photos of some bizarre clumpy termite mounds. I've decided I want to be an entomologist and study termites! We had lunch in Derby where Rich got told off big time for taking some of Camp Melbourne's apple juice BY MISTAKE! How was he to know that only they are ANAL enough to buy their own food when on a tour!! I wish i'd had a go at them now, as they are so fucking neurotic and miserable. I couldn't believe the way they overreacted!! Had a nice bitching session with the German girl who also thought they were mega annoying!

Anyhow, last stop before Broome was the prison boab tree - so huge that they actually held aboriginis captive inside the tree. We finally arrived in Broome and went down to Cable Beach for sunset and beers!! We were all in a good mood, probably because we realised we didn't have to spend any more time together!

We said goodbye to Finn, who was such a nice guy, and an amazing guide. Rich and I were staying at Cable Beach backpackers which was lush and we had LONG showers, some dinner and then bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb