Karijini - the jewel of the West!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
June 13th 2005
Published: June 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

On Saturday we had this very long way, going inland to Karijini national park. It's an amazing place and we spent there 2 days hiking in magnificent narrow and beautiful gorges.On Sunday we visited the 4 gorges area. We went down the gorge called Weano. After a short walk you reach the narrow part. You walk with your legs on the walls of the gorge, the water under you in the middle. Well it's not dangerous as it may sound because the rocks there are layered and you actually have like stairs all the time. Then you get to handrail pool which seems like the end of the way. So it is the end if you are not willing to swim a bit in the freezing cold water... but eventually I decided to do it. So I put on my swimmers and take a dip into the water - wow it was cooold! but it took me to even more beautiful part of the gorge, through 2 more pools, until we reached a waterfall that we couldn't climb back if we jumped. So we didn't of course. But it was amazing and so beautiful out there!After a lunch picnic we went to the other gorge - Hencock. Here you don't really have to get wet but we were already in the mood so we swam down the pools even if we could walk around, and walked down again through this narrow passage called "spider walk" cause you can walk like a spider on the gorge wall (but I didn't care walking in the water so I didn't have to make any effort). The last place you get to is called Kermit's pool and it's another cold beautiful pool. Beyond there's a water slide that is very tempting, but again to go up you need the gear that we didn't have. Maybe one day I will go back with a tour doing the whole thing because it looks like a great canyoning adventure.On Monday we went to Dales gorge. This one is not as spectacular as the others so if you ever go there, do it before. Anyway it was still beautiful, just not as narrow and adventurous. It's amazing to see the rock formations and the clear water.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Beautiful rock colors in Weano gorgeBeautiful rock colors in Weano gorge
Beautiful rock colors in Weano gorge

You see the same all over Karijini


Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 18; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1174s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb