Monday Nov 27, 2017


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Rottnest Island
November 27th 2017
Published: November 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

QuokkaQuokkaQuokka

A marsupial rat? A mini kangaroo?
Rottnest (Wadjemup to the Aboriginees who were there as early as 20,000 years ago) got its name from the Dutch who called this island off Fremantle “Rottenest” for rats’ nest, although in modern Dutch that would have been spelled “Rattenest”. Small detail. They named it after these really strange-looking marsupials presently known as Quokkas, that have a head and tail like a rat and a body of a kangaroo, including the hind legs. They’re about the size of a cat and they are literally all over the island, and nowhere else in the world (we heard later there are some remote populations elsewhere in Australia), walking between people looking for leftovers or handouts. There’s a $50 fine for feeding them.

Rottnest used to be attached to the mainland some 7,000 years ago, before rising ocean levels isolated it, and is infamous for its imprisonment of Aboriginees, many shackled in chains well beyond the time when such treatment had stopped for white people. The island also served as a military base during WW2 to protect the port of Fremantle.

Upon first arriving, we found it difficult to figure out where to get off the hop-on hop-off bus circling the island
QuokkaQuokkaQuokka

Pretty tame little creatures. One got into Marion’s bag and almost stole a baggie of trail mix.
every hour, but we figured it out and picked a spot to snorkel. However, Marion felt a bit panicky with the weeds, so we just had a nice swim and spent some time sunning, the first time since we got here. At Geordie’s Beach, Ferdy’s beer actually cost less than Marion’s latte. So deserving!

This place is quite the vacation spot, you can stay in a hotel here, but you cannot live on the island unless you work here. A great sunny day and not too hot!

The Little Creatures Brewery, as Marion remembered from her 2012 trip, as will April and Angela, is a great spot in Fremantle, serving up some great locally brewed beers and great food. We had cured meat (Marion) and spicy mussels (Ferdy), tried the IPA, and chatted with some people. The sunset was not a spectacular one today, no clouds.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Parker PointParker Point
Parker Point

Not the best of places to snorkel. Too weedy.
Holy Trinity Catholic ChurchHoly Trinity Catholic Church
Holy Trinity Catholic Church

Nice little place of worship.
Thomson BayThomson Bay
Thomson Bay

The place where the ferry lands.


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb