Perth, Fremantle & Rottnest Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Perth City
September 5th 2008
Published: September 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

PerthPerthPerth

Kings Park with Perth CBD behind us
Got our replacement Koni shocks, which were organised by Ultimate. We were then free to explore Perth and surrounds. Very hard to get to Information Centre in City, so we gave up and drove to Fremantle for the day. Had fish & chips for lunch at Cicerello’s on the waterfront, drove through Cottesloe Beach and to Kings Park. Lots of people so we gave up and will come back another time. Rang the Pipers, whom we met in Coral Bay and arranged to catch up on Sunday afternoon. The kids were very excited and as soon as we arrived the kids just clicked again and had lots of fun playing. Diane had made lasagna, and we enjoyed a home cooked meal.

Went to the Perth Mint and had a tour and saw a gold pour. Enjoyed the afternoon exploring Kings Park on the Tree Top Walk and Wildflower Exhibition. The Water Garden had ducks with 2 day old ducklings, so it took a long time to get the kids away. Went past my old office, which is now a bottle shop.

Next day did some washing and updated the kids’ travelblog. Booked to go to Rottnest Island on Wednesday. Into Perth to check out GPO for mail. Caught the CAT (Central Area Transport) bus from near Kings Park into CBD. Had to go to 2 places to find mail, as the GPO is undergoing major refurbishment. Kids found a couple of gifts for Rod for Fathers Day. Down to Freo to see the Maritime Museum. The submarine tour was all booked out. Kate dressed Rod up in a sailor’s hat. He looked such a cute little boy! Booked ahead for Thursday’s submarine tour at 10.30am.

On Wednesday, the bus came to the caravan park at 7am and drove us to the Barrack Street Wharf. We had to wait until other passengers arrived, but finally got underway down the Swan River to Fremantle. There were 2 stops in Fremantle and by the time we were ready to cross the Indian Ocean to Rottnest the boat was full and almost overflowing. On the way the captain had to dodge a whale, but unfortunately we didn’t see it. On Rottnest the bus takes almost 1hr to get around the whole island, and the last bus gets in 15minutes after our boat was leaving. So we did the tour around the island, looked at the Museum, ate at the Bakery and Subway, fed the Quokkas some leaves, chased away the bossy peacocks, and finally sat down to relax while the kids played on the playground until the boat came back in. The Fremantle Doctor always comes in the afternoon, so the crossing back is always rougher. Got back to Perth at 5.35pm, got on the bus and was back at our caravan park soon after 6pm.

We were greeted by a German Tourist whom we had befriended; to be told that someone had stolen the contents of both Camp Fridges overnight and we had lost our veggies as well as some containers they were in.

Did some hand washing, then drove to Margaret’s house in Shelley to get the key to the gate at the holiday house in Rockingham. Got to Freo just in time for the Submarine Tour. They rang us just to make sure we were coming. We had to say we got lost on the Freeway (not we were busy talking). Anyway, HMAS Ovens has been decommissioned since 1992 and our tour guide was an ex-submariner and he knew all about it. By the time we finished
Maritime MuseumMaritime MuseumMaritime Museum

HMAS Ovens is just to the right of the Museum
the tour, climbing up and down stairs and bending through hatchways we started the actual Museum. There were lots of boats historical to WA, like Australia II with the famous winged keel, the first steam boat, folding canoes that the army used and a one man submarine, just to name a few. Alex and Kate with Rod of course really enjoyed the interactive things and next thing we knew it was 2pm. We panicked because the meter had run out 1 hour before. Ran out, and luckily no parking fine. We went to the shops for some groceries, especially veggies. Then to the Pipers for a final play before we leave Perth.

They take their security seriously in Perth; we saw a truck on the highway with its passenger door locked - with a chain and padlock! Overboard or what!

We were going to visit the Bell Tower for the interactive bell ringing, but we had already been in the tower and had heard the bells ring from the car, so we decided to visit Fremantle Prison and the Fremantle Market instead.

We took our time to pack up and arrived at the Prison with time to
Maritime MuseumMaritime MuseumMaritime Museum

Rod the Sailor
look around before the tour. The prison was quite eerie and the conditions for the prisoners back in 1991 were primitive, but probably stopped them from re-offending. Walked past the gallows with a noose still hanging there. Before a prisoner is hung they are weighed and measured and the rope is made the right length for the hanging. The rope is then destroyed afterwards. The hood over their head is to prevent them from seeing their executioners. There are 13 steps to the gallows, 13 feet from the door, 13 people at the execution and 13 rafters in the ceiling. There is also no No. 6 or No. 16 cells because it looks like a noose or in the case of 16, the hangman and the noose. For criminals with not much hope they were very superstitious. Tried to leave Alex behind to rehabilitate him, but he and the prison officials would have none of it.

Walked across to the markets and had a look around. It is very much like a miniature Queen Vic Market all within one building instead of outside. Down to Rockingham the scenic route which takes you past all the industrial zone of Fremantle.
Maritime MuseumMaritime MuseumMaritime Museum

Kate rowing
Garden Island is very close to the mainland. There is a bridge so that the Navy Personnel can drive to work. We arrived in Rockingham on Friday afternoon and it was so nice to take our time to set up during the daylight hours.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Maritime MuseumMaritime Museum
Maritime Museum

Rod's rowing skills
Maritime MuseumMaritime Museum
Maritime Museum

Alex the Captain!
Swan RiverSwan River
Swan River

Alex & Kate
Rottnest IslandRottnest Island
Rottnest Island

Mother Quokka with baby
Rottnest IslandRottnest Island
Rottnest Island

Thompson Bay Settlement - arriving
Rottnest IslandRottnest Island
Rottnest Island

The boat on the way back - Alex, Kate & Rod
PerthPerth
Perth

Swan River at Canning Hwy Bridge
PerthPerth
Perth

WA Truck Security - Chain & Padlock
Fremantle PrisonFremantle Prison
Fremantle Prison

Solitary - Gill & Alex
Fremantle PrisonFremantle Prison
Fremantle Prison

Hangman's Noose


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb