TIMBER CREEK TO KUNUNURRA


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kununurra
May 12th 2013
Published: May 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We really liked the Timber Creek Caravan Park. Small park, plenty of shade, amenities fine etc. It has a lovely grassed area down by the creek which has fresh water crocs in it. On our way from the Buchanan Highway to Timber Creek we noticed the first of the boab trees. Because our booking in Kununurra started on 10th May we decided to stay in the cool for an extra day and lingered.

Still no sight seeing as we will be doing it with Dave and Shirley one the way back through.

Here we did a big clean up on the van. The amount of dust getting into the interior has diminished considerably with all our efforts on tracking down and blocking little leaks. I swept, vacuumed, dusted etc. I like the size of this house when it comes to cleaning. The outside was another matter altogether. GMan got out his bannister brush and started brushing away the dust and managed to create a dust storm. People kept saying, I should do that but I will watch you instead. We did not do a perfect job, but it is all looking better. He even did the wheels.

I mentioned at the end of last blog about cleaning the fridge because the black bean sauce had leaked all over. We also managed to finish all the meat and frozen vegetables we had in the engel, so GMan has his beer fridge back - but he still has beer in the inside fridge for the evenings.

Got a great bargain from the IGA in Timber Creek. They had Red Rock Lime and Cracked Pepper chippies (95g) in the throw out bin for $1. They were 4 days out of date. We bought 4 and are clinging to the last packet for a special occassion. Still tasted good to us. Beats Victoria River $3 for 45 grams.

The second night there we went down to the creek for the free croc feeding show. We did not get anywhere near the bridge where the demonstration was to happen because it was being guarded by a fresh water crocodile! Eventually we all piled onto the single lane bridge and some brave souls actually fed the crocs, GMan included.

We had put a whole pile of bread into the water first for fish and turtles to eat, but none emerged no wonder. As soon as we started onto the bridge fresh water crocs came from all over and surrounded bridge on both sides.

These freshies are far bigger than any others I have been in the past and they are a darker colour. There was one monster there. I asked about the colour and was told that it depends on the water course they are in, the surrounding soils and what they are eating.

Whilst we were doing the croc feeding bit the guide Mark kept whistling. Then I noticed that the tree above was filled with kites (the birds) he identified them as whistling kites. He then threw meat into the air and the birds were catching it in flight. When the demonstration was over he left a single piece of meat on the rail of the bridge in the middle of the bridge and we all watched as a kite swooped down and picked up the meat flying like a low level fly by run done at airshows. The bird was far more appealing to me.

We actually decided that if we ever did the real sunbird thing and just wanted to go north for the winter and sit in one place, Timber Creek CP was the place to do it. Small town, the park is all fenced and lit up well to discourage problems, it is more than adequate and attractive.

I had an interesting experience one night, I got up and plodded over to the toilet block and on my way back saw a small movement off to my right I glanced over and there was the male member from the next caravan in his birthday suit trying to pretend he was a tree trunk. Bet he will put his jocks on and go to the toilet like normal people in future.

Got on the road early on 10th and headed to the WA border. Shirley had send me an email asking if my home dried vegetables would be able to get into WA as they now have a ban on home dried produce unless it has been done to commercial standand. Being the good catholic girl I am I declared these at the border and explained how I did my drying and how long I dried for. The inspector looked at two of the packs and I did not have to pull the rest out of the cupboard. He was more concerned about the dried Daum Salam leaves I have for making curries and whether there were any seeds. I explained the life cycle of the tree and I was allowed to keep them as well. Good stuff, I need them for the lamb shanks with spiced red lentils.

Along the way the scenery was wonderful and the boabs became more plentiful and attractive.

We booked into the Hidden Valley Caravan Park where we stayed 23 years ago. It has deteriorated quite a bit but the toilets and showers are more than adequate. The roads need work and the back packer area has expanded considerably, having said that they cause no issues and there is no excessive noise. Moving back in time 1 1/2 hours was interesting in that it gets dark so early.

We were directed to choose our own site and proceeded to find one we could drive through and set up camp. We rang Suzanne, my sister in law from first marriage, and went off for a visit with her, Jens (Brother in Law from first marriage) and Clive Sue's partner. We had a really nice time talking and catching up and having a barbecue. It has been 14.5 years since we had seen each other.

We got back to the van and discovered that a Spanish couple had set their tent up in the area where we were supposed to park our can next to our van instead of the tent site next to it. When I finally managed to get him to understand we came to a compromise, we would park Brutus III where they should have been but we would be trailing an electric cable past them so we could keep the engel cold without draining the battery. It worked. They moved off on Sunday morning and we quickly got back to where we should have been. They are touring around in a clapped out little car which when he turns it on screeches because the fan belt is slipping. He was under the bonnet looking at it when I went past this morning and I was trying to show him that the fan belt needed tightening. Another fellow wandered past and he I said I heard it yes it is the fan belt. There were the three of us looking at the engine (east west mount) and showing him which bolt needed work and when we felt it you could move it with your fingers!. Sorted that out and explained about putting a little soap on the belt itself. He looked at me and said “mechanic” and I said no “librarian” he was very impressed. The one thing I knew how to fix.

Clive came round to the van on Saturday morning and he and Graham fixed one of the stabilisers which was proving recalcitrant. It will have to be replaced when we can find another one. One of the pins which holds it in place is not moving freely. Well it is now because Clive worked on it and GMan got the message on how to fix them in future. We have closely examined the ones mounted on Island Star caravans and asked about them. The look excellent.

After the van was fixed we went to the markets and wandered around. I managed to find a small gift for Sue and went off to purchase it and when I rejoined everyone who should appear but Tom my ex. He turned his back and ignored GMan, Clive and I completely. Worked for us.

That evening The Bolarks, Sue, Clive and Jens went out for dinner at "the Pumphouse". It was as the name indicates a former pumphouse for the Argyle Dam which has been renovated, complete with the pumps still in-situ, and turned into the posh restuarant. Built out over the water the views must be wonderful duing the day. The size of the catfish swimming around the base of the pylons really surprised me. It was very nice indeed, but hugely expensive and Clive would not let us pay. I did pass on your birthday wishes Barb. The next day I made a smorgasbord for us.

I didn't mention that on the way from Timber Creek to Kununurra a truck threw a stone onto our windscreen and we got a chip. That chip has become a crack. We have to go to see a windscreen repairer today and try and get our windscreen replaced. We have our insurance papers which us so it should be an insurance job. After much todo we have managed to sort out the insurance claim and take the car out to the repairer at 11:30 am today and will have it back in two hours. We will be late getting out onto the Gibb River Road, but we have plenty of time anyway.

Talking about the GRB, Clive who works in an earth moving firm has told us that they have been out there grading the road for a couple of weeks now so it should be in good nick. The powers that be have definitely said they are going to bitumise the whole road in the near future.

We started looking at the route and planning our trip. When we looked at El Questro we decided to by-pass it. It costs you $20 just to pass through the front gate, then if you want to camp it starts at $20. They do not specify if that is per person or per car. The reasonable campsites are $50. It may be a great sightseeing opportunity, but I am not into being totally ripped off, especially when I can look at the photos online.

We cannot find out the cost of any of the campsites along the road, so are prepared to have to pay. We figure that El Questro being the jewel in the crown it will be the most expensive. We spoke to a couple in the van next to us last night and shared a bottle of "Shearer's Cut" and they told us that you can free camp anywhere along the road you want. We will give that a go.

Having a farewell dinner with Sue, Clive and Jens this evening, she is cooking us a roast, what a treat and we will be on the road tomorrow morning first thing. What a wonderful experience in two weeks we will be able to cross another thing off our bucket list.

You are probably asking where have the boys been throughout all of this. The little sods have discovered that the backpacker chicks hang around the pool a lot in their little bikini's so they are over there all day laying about, perving and trying to get picked up.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



16th May 2013

Its Raining - Its Pouring
Wondering if you have left Kununurra yet? Judy rang a while ago to say that the Gibb River Road may be a bit too wet for you for a day or two. Rain pouring down in the area. ????? Thanks for another fab blog post. We love it when the notification arrives informing us you have posted a new one, its kettle on time & sit down to read it. Nearly time to catch up with Shirley & Dave - how exciting. Keep rollin' along.
18th May 2013

Late comment
Hi there, sorry it has taken so long to pass comment but after many years of trying to convince the husband he would really like the computer, he has succumbed but alas I've created a monster, he managed to max out the usage so that I have been on major slowdown for the last two weeks. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time and it must have been nice to catch with old friends, love the boys, looking forwrd to next blog, hope everything continues to sail on smoothly. We are all good here. Cheers Lynley

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1124s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb