Exploring Kununurra


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kununurra
October 8th 2012
Published: October 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The first thing we had to do after entering WA was to put our clocks back 1 ½ hours. What we did not expect was that the sun now rose at 5am and set at 5:30pm!

Our camp site was right on the edge of Lake Kununurra, giving us a view of everyone who fails to catch a fish. (Greg included.)

Kununurra surprised us. It is a lovely country town on the edge of a lake, but also surrounded by typical Kimberly ranges. There are lots of interesting things to see and do.

We learnt all about the local Sandalwood industry. The traditional sources in India are becoming rapidly depleted, demand is increasing, and Australia is stepping in to fill the gap.

In a similar tone, we visited the local rum distillery, “The Hoochery”. Not much chance of wine tasting up here but rum tasting is a pretty good substitute. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the spirits and liqueurs.

The crocodile farm in Wyndham was quite different. Initially it looked very rough, and it was. However, the proprietor was such a character, a real rough diamond, who taught us lots about crocodiles and the farming industry. He kept us very entertained, and frequently had to stop to have a cigarette. 95% of the tour group were male, which also coloured the tone of the commentary. The young males wanted to see aggressive crocodiles, and they were not disappointed. It was somewhat disconcerting to have a huge crocodile leap up and crash into the steel mesh inches behind your knees while you were watching another croc being fed! Once they knew food was on its way we all must have looked like dinner as one after another threw themselves against the mesh trying to get to us. We definitely got our money’s worth.

Driving through the ranges it is hard to imagine that they hide such a large lake, but once you see Lake Argyle you understand why the Ord River scheme is successful. 21 times Sydney Harbour is a lot of fresh water.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Ord river below the damOrd river below the dam
Ord river below the dam

The road led to a great picnic place for lunch.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb