Kalbarri (Thursday 30th May – Sunday 2nd June)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
June 2nd 2013
Published: June 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Every time we get in the car to head north we are so hopeful for less rain, sunnier weather and warmer water, Kalbarri meets two of these criteria, no rain and slightly warmer ocean but still cold, down to two degrees overnight! The kids don’t care about the weather because behold they have free wifi (yes free internet) at the caravan park. We still manage to drag the kids away from the ipads to check out the sights and sounds of Kalbarri.

Firstly we’re off to Jake’s Point, a reef break where the waves break along the point and the girls and I can get an up close view of the action.

Matt's Say: Jake's is like Blacks but there is dry rock right in front of you! There is definitely 2 takeoff points...the local crew have the inside takeoff so wired, although I did see one 5ft by 2ft thick left pitch some local charger with the lip closely following him toward the rock ledge...but he popped up, stood up actually in knee deep water and attempted to get under the lip of the next set wave...hmmm where to sit...what do you think you are 40 with 3 kids...yep, sit a tad wide and live to fight another day. Great wave though, winds down the point with a couple of good sections. Only issue is that Kalbarri is a one wave town and there are a fair number of local crew.

We also head out to the Kalbarri National Park to check out Nature’s Window and to embark on the 8km loop walk that follows the winding gorge from the top of the cliff to the edge of the river. A mighty effort from the girls as we reach the car just as the sun was disappearing below the horizon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement







Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb