artles west kimberley


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Arrived at the newly established Bungle Bungle caravan park- still very new and very much outback. We had booked and so had electricity which was great to operate the air con. From here we had a wonderful trip to the Bungle Bungles . The road in was about 53kms of corrugations and more including some ordinary river crossings- lucky we were in a 4 wheel drive bus as it took 2 hours to go the 53kms in that. We managed to do 4 walks- Picaninny Lookout, Cathedral Gorge, Echidna Chasm and The Loop. Absolutely stunning having the up close and personal look at it all. We were treated to a spontaneous performance of a flautist in Cathedral Gorge- the acoustics could not have been better as he played a number of tunes incl Waltzing Matilda, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Two Little Boys and Danny Boy. We were exhausted by the time we got back to camp after a 10 hr trip and ended our time here with a camp dinner around an open fire. Up early the next morning and we were in Fitzroy Crossing for lunch after a 400km drive. An unbelievable oasis as we drove in with green grass, no dust and a swimming pool. Have spent four days visiting the local sights including a lovely cruise with an indigenous guide and walk along Geikie gorge. So far from the coast we could not believe the escarpments were formed of coral and when we were doing the walk finding shells about 150 metres from the waters edge. Plenty of fresh water crocs...but we don’t get too close although you can guess who always gets the window seat on these river trips! Visited the Crossing Inn the oldest pub in the Kimberley however we weren’t keen on joining the queue as it opened at 12 noon. Most days have been spent doing something in the morning and spending the afternoon by the pool. This has been great as we’ve had days of 35deg! Lovely nights as well along with a lack of insects have made this a great rest spot and we would not drive past on any future trip – and a bonus has been TV reception so Arthur has been able to watch the first Ashes test. From here we are heading closer to Broome so that we can arrive early on our scheduled arrival date.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb