Into WA - Lake Argyle & Kununurra


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kununurra
July 5th 2013
Published: July 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It was a beautiful drive along the Victoria Highway passing through the Gregory National Park. Border quarantine was kind to us and we got through relatively quickly and then onto Lake Argyle. A grassy and shady afternoon van site helped us enjoy a beautiful week. Everyday we spent time at the Infinity pool with a backdrop overlooking Lake Argyle and the surrounding ranges. It was mesmerising. We did a walk to view the river, one to a lookout overlooking the lake and one to the homestead which has been relocated once the dam was established. We had a glorious afternoon and evening on a boat doing a sunset tour with some people swimming out in the middle...but with 35,000 crocs, albeit freshwater, we decided a glass of wine with pate and cheese was more our style! The cruise was great and even after being out in the middle we couldn’t believe it was 16 times bigger than Sydney harbour to us it was like being out to sea – absolutely enormous. We left here with fond memories and had a big day of travel (86kms!!) to Kununurra. Here we are back in telecommunications range! It started off really hot for the first couple of days followed by some windy ones which didn’t make us enjoy the red dust anymore than we’ve had along the way. We’ve spent a week here and have been up to Wyndham to see the 5 rivers lookout which was amazing with Wyndham itself reminding us how far north we are as we could see out to the Cambridge gulf. We’ve had a good look around Kununurra and have visited El Questro, Zebedee Springs and the beautiful Emma Gorge. The latter was an amazing walk, clambering over boulders to reach two waterholes. The furtherest with a waterfall and a warm spring coming into one side of it. Stunning! We had a lovely swim here which wasn’t as cold as what we had been warned about. A great day even though the road in was corrugated and we ended up doing 8 river/creek crossings.

From here we are heading off to the Bungle Bungles. On Sunday we have booked for a full day on a tour to get an up close and personal. Apparently the road in is not great so we are not considering driving (our small taste of the Gibb River Rd and the dust that comes with it was enough). Then we will see about doing a flight of some kind over it – maybe by helicpter. The weather continues to be beautiful with each day around 30deg and a great place to be instead of the winter down south!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0961s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb