Gibson Soak Hotel


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Esperance
November 19th 2012
Published: November 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

At one of Greg’s regular Friday lunches he had heard of this wonderful place to eat, just north of Esperance. After a couple of emails and an internet search, we knew that we had to visit the Gibson Soak hotel for dinner.

The hotel was set up to service the traffic between Esperance and the goldfields when 22km was a day’s travel by horse cart, so it had a rich history. Although there was no caravan park they were happy for us to park on the grounds. So with no camp fees and no drink driving concerns; we had a perfect set up for a good night.

The bar was just a typical small country pub bar, but the dining room menu was promising. After a good read of our options we both decided that we just had to try the Shanks. With no wine list, it was a case of seeing what bottles were on the shelf. We were not disappointed with the selection. When we ordered we were ushered into the dining room and invited into the ‘formal dining room’ extension, complete with linen napkins and fairy lights! What a contrast to the front bar.

The shanks had been marinaded for 10 days, and then cooked for 10 hours. They were served floating in a rich stock in a very hot camp oven, along with peas and mashed potato. The serves were huge as we each had two big shanks, but it was absolutely yummy!

Thank goodness we only had a short walk to our caravan and a comfy bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Our caravan was parked nearbyOur caravan was parked nearby
Our caravan was parked nearby

If you look closely you can see it in the background.


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb