VENUS BAY TO ESPERANCE


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Esperance
April 25th 2010
Published: April 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 18th April, We got to Nundroo early afternoon and decided to keep on going, and ended up staying at the Nullabor roadhouse park. Met some people in a giant Unimog 4wd from Diggers Rest in Victoria who were travelling up the back roads to Alice Springs to do some prospecting. Interesting couple.

Also met a couple travelling in a VW powered motor cycle/trike with a hot engine and big fat rear tyres.

The noise from the generator kept Pam awake for most of the night, along with a dingo pack howling just after sunup, we woke up to a thick fog that didn’t lift for an hour or two.

Monday 19th April, Travelling across the Nullabor was a bit disappointing as two or three of the viewing platforms were closed and the view from the open ones weren’t quite like the cliffs that you see in the promotional photographs. But anyway, worth seeing, I guess. A lot of nothing along the way.

With the time change we had an extra 45 minutes of daylight so we went on to the Cocklebiddy Roadhouse for the night where we had a nice country meal at their restaurant.

Pam was breathtested, licence & rego check, 10 km past Eucla out in the middle of nowhere, ha ha, and we met one of hiltlers former stormtroopers working at the fruit fly inspection at Border Village. She was most disappointed that she couldn’t find anything to take from us.

Tuesday 20th April, left the Cocklebiddy Roadhouse about 8-45 am and went through Caiguna and Balladonia to the Fraser Range sheep station caravan park. This was like an oasis compared what we went through on the way across the Nullabor, so we spent two nights there to rest up. They put on a 4wd sunset tour of part of the property ( 430,000 acres. 25km wide & 180km long ) which was quite interesting.

Wednesday 21st April, met up with two couples that we had met along the Nullabor and spent some time with them, climbed the hill overlooking the park and went for a bike ride around the area. A good rest day.

Thursday 22nd April, Due to the earthquake at Kalgoorlie the day before ( some of the old buildings were damaged and some roads closed ) we decided to go straight down to Esperance. Got there about mid-day,
Set everything up and went shopping for the fruit and vegies that we weren’t allowed to bring over the border.

Friday 23rd April, An overcast damp day, so we had some R&R again. ( boring isn’t it )

Saturday 24th April,
Took the local tourist route along the coast, there were some stunning beaches and inlets to look at.
I booked in for a tour of the Port of Esperance put on by the local Apex group. You don’t realize how much
grain, iron ore, and nickel is exported from here. Also there is a massive amount of chemicals imported for
the farmers and the mining companies. Didn’t do much after that at all.

Sunday 25th April, Went to the local main street market and bought a couple of books to keep us going, and then headed out to Cape Le Grande. We thought the views at Esperance were good but they have nothing compared to Lucky Bay, Thistle Cove and Hellfire Bay, they were magnificent with the whitest sand you will see anywhere. We walked along all of the beaches and had a very pleasant day. You are allowed to drive along the beaches here and there were lots doing it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



9th May 2010

Keep on keepin' on
Big place Oz, aye? Pity you didn't swing off to Fowler's Bay at the start of the Nullabor.. it was the original terminal of the telegraph from Eucla. Pure white sand there too. Interesting about Esperence. Mining has done much to change WA. I wonder what the patrons thought in Hay Sreeet, Kalgoorlie when the quake hit? Probably tipped the "ladies" for making the earth move for them!! Great blog guys.... keep it up. Lil and Phil

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb